[lg policy] The Dark Reality of Secession Fantasy

jayrkirk42 jayrkirk42 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Nov 20 15:50:42 UTC 2012

Martyrdom syndrome - everybody's got it, legitimate or not. If you perceive that your ideology is being persecuted, it somehow makes it more legitimate.

I enjoyed this, being a Floridian recently transplanted to Texas. In Florida I grew up with the regional identity of the South being important. In Texas, the state identity of being Texan is the big deal. In both cases, there was a sense that these identities are more American than America itself, as you said. Granted, Texans would probably be fine having their own identity, since they aghast do, anyway.

Sent from my Samsung Epic™ 4G TouchGareth Price <garethowenprice at gmail.com> wrote:Hi All,

I thought some of you might find interesting a recent op-ed I wrote for the Huffington Post. It's on language, nationalism and the recent secession petitions in the US:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/garethprice/secession-petitions_b_2152763.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

(If that link breaks, then this one is shorter: http://tinyurl.com/c35d6fn  )
Comments welcome - bearing in mind that some of the nuances of the issues have to be glossed over for a non-academic audience.

There's also a couple of older pieces on language and politics, here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/garethprice/

Apologies for the paucity of my contributions to the list this year ... I've been snowed under ...

Best,

Gareth

--
Gareth Price, Ph.D