[lg policy] Max 104.9 News Story

Maarja Siiner maarja at SIINER.EU
Sat Nov 24 11:44:59 UTC 2012

Hi,

based on my personal experience I do agree with Beresford Mayor that
religion and language issues raise emotions.

Comparing religion and language (as "hot potatoes" in political
debates) might however be tricky - while a state can be neutral on the
question of religion, no state can be neutral on the question of
language, since communication is essential to the functioning of any
state, liberal democratic or otherwise (As far as I remember, Choudhry
has been examining this in his "Managing linguistic nationalism
through constitutional design: Lessons from South-Asia" from 2009)

What do you think?

Maarja Siiner, PhD, University of Tartu, Estonia