[lg policy] Reversion to colonialist language policy in New Zealand

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 27 15:16:06 UTC 2012

 Forwarded From: lpren at caltalk.cal.org
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 22:02:48 +0000

Reversion to colonialist language policy in New Zealand

CAL Language Policy Research Network
*************************************
Talofa lavaall      Members may wish to read more about this language
Policy struggle at-

1) May, S. (2012)  Language and  Minority Rights      pp.  194,
330-335, 336, 359     Also  other  publications by Stephen May .

2) McCaffery, J.J; McFall- Mccaffery, J.A.T. ( 2010) 'O tatou ō aga’i
i fea?/`Oku tau ō ki fe?/Where are we heading?: Pasifika languages in
Aotearoa/New Zealand', AlterNative : An International Iournal of
Indigenous Scholarship, 6, (Issue 2: Special Supplement Issue Ngaahi
Lea 'a e Kakai Pasifiki: Endangered Pacific Languages and Cultures),
86-121,  (35 pages)

3) Tuafuti, P., & McCaffery, J. (2005) Family and community
empowerment through bilingual education. The International Journal of
Bilingual Education and Bilingualism, 8(5), 480-503.

4) http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/international/2012-11-26/adviser-resigns-over-nz-pacific-education-plan/1051620

5) Pacific Languages Framework Ministry of Pacific Affairs  at -
    http://www.mpia.govt.nz/pacific-languages-framework-3/

6) The 2013-2017 Pasifika Education Plan – Ministry of Education  at
    http://www.minedu.govt.nz/NZEducation/EducationPolicies/PasifikaEducation/PasifikaEducationPlan2013.aspx

John

John   McCaffery.  Senior Lecturer, Te Kura Marautanga me te Ako:
Curriculum & Pedagogy( English/Languages/ Literacy/TESOL/ Bilingual/
Immersion Education )
Faculty of Education, Epsom Campus.  Office N Block, N601  University
of Auckland, Private Bag 92601, Symonds Street, Auckland 1,
Aotearoa/New Zealand
email:  j.mccaffery at auckland.ac.nz
Work:  64-9-6238899 ext 48709  Fax; 64-9-623 8811    Mob: 027 20 83 766
Greetings from Aotearoa/New Zealand: "Kia Ora, Kia orana,  Namaste-Ni
sa bula, Taloha ni, Fakaalofa lahi atu, Malo e lelei, Halo olaketa,
Kam na mauri, Ia orana, Kia ora, Talofa lava and Pacific Greetings to
you all.

Blessed with Bilingual Brains- Aroʻaʻia te reo ʻenua. Tuatua mai
tuatua atu tuatua mai.

A new Vision for for Pacific  Families
1.1 To enjoy success in education as Pasifika (Tongan , Niue , Samoan,
 Tokelaun, Cook Is…)  peoples.
1.2 To be able to grow up in NZ in the context of our own languages,
cultures, values and beliefs.
1.3 To be able to live life as Pasifika (Tongan, Niue, Samoan,
Tokelauan, Cook Is…) peoples in NZ.
1.4 To gain the skills, knowledge and understandings to be productive
citizens of the wider world and participate in all areas of NZ society
sharing in its material well being.
Adapted from  Professor Mason Durie's Maori Education Strategy