[lg policy] BBC radio series on language diversity and endangerment

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 27 15:20:51 UTC 2012

Forwarded From: "Laura M. Ahearn" <ahearn at rci.rutgers.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 06:46:32 -0500

BBC radio series on language diversity and endangerment

BBC will be airing a three-part radio series on language policy,
language diversity, and language endangerment beginning next week --
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01p6zpl>. It will be presented by Mark
Turin and will focus on Nepal, South Africa, and New York City.  Scroll
down for more details.
[...]

I thought that you might be interested to know about a three-part
series that I am presenting on BBC Radio 4 on themes of language
diversity, endangerment and policy that starts next week.

The first episode, recorded in Nepal over the summer, airs from
11:00-11:30am GMT on Monday, 3 December, 2012. Alongside analogue and
digital radio transmission in the UK, the programme will be streamed
live online:
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/>.

The series has its own set of web pages on the BBC site:
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01p6zpl>

Episodes two and three cover the linguistic landscape of South Africa
and New York City, and will be aired 11:00-11:30am on Monday 10 and
Monday 17 December respectively.

Radio 4 staff assure me that the programmes will be archived as
podcasts for the foreseeable future.

All the very best, and feel free to send the message on to anyone you
think may be interested,

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com