[lg policy] blog: Indigenous views on language policy?

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 28 16:34:34 UTC 2012

Indigenous views on language policy?

Otavano
Joined: Oct 7 2012
November 26, 2012 - 8:34am

I was curious to know what indigenous Canadian think of Official
Bilingualism, the notion of "two founding races" which excludes
indigenous peoples, etc.

For instance, do you agree with special privileges for English and
French that do not apply to indigenous Canadians? What about Heritage
Canada and CIDA funding for the promotion of French and English
abroad, or Canada's membership in the Commonwealth of Nations and the
Organisation de la Francophonie? Would you be more in favour of making
all of Canada's indigenous languages equally official with English and
French, or inversely, make English and French equally unofficial with
indigenous languages and maybe adopt an auxiliary language? Or any
other comment on the subject.

I'm interested mainly because I'm well aware of strong support on the
right and especially on the left for Official Bilingualism, but
considering how the Royal Commission on Bilingualism and
biculturalism, the phylosophical founding document of modern Official
Bilingualism, explicitely rejects any equal rights for indigenous
Canadians, i can't immagine there is equal support for it among
indigenous Canadians though I could be wrong.

For extensive comments and replies, go to:
http://rabble.ca/babble/aboriginal-issues-and-culture/indigenous-views-language-policy

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)