[lg policy] Cymdeithas considers action against Plaid Cymru over language policy

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 9 15:12:26 UTC 2012

Cymdeithas Yr Iaith is threatening action against Plaid Cymru

Language group Cymdeithas yr Iaith Gymraeg is considering taking
direct action against Plaid Cymru over the party’s attitude to the
National Assembly’s language policy, the group has announced today.

Last week the majority of Plaid Cymru AMs voted against an amendment
to the Official Languages Bill which would have obliged the Assembly
to translate transcripts of all its meetings into Welsh.

They also voted against publishing the Assembly’s Record of
Proceedings in Welsh at the same time as the English version, although
the Assembly operated that policy until 2009.

Cymdeithas’ ruling board, the Senedd, has authorised peaceful direct
action against Plaid, but implementing the decision will be postponed
until there is a response from the party.

Sian Howys, rights spokesperson for Cymdeithas yr Iaith Gymraeg, the
Welsh Language Society, said: “We call on Plaid Cymru AMs to take the
opportunity to rectify the injustice of last week by ensuring the
Assembly’s language scheme implements the Welsh language’s full
national status.

"That’s the way to show the clear leadership on the Welsh language’s
status and bilingual democracy that Plaid Cymru should have shown
during the vote on the Official Languages Bill.

“The result of that vote endangers one of the main cornerstones of the
2011 Welsh Language law – that the Welsh language has official status
in Wales.”

Sioned Haf, vice-chair of Cymdeithas yr Iaith Gymraeg added: “We have
taken this decision to demonstrate the seriousness of our
disappointment and disbelief that Plaid Cymru has turned its back on
one of its main principles; namely ensuring equality for the Welsh
language.

"We have been severely disappointed that Plaid Cymru didn’t take this
opportunity to ensure that our main democratic body gave a clear
message that the meaning of official status is to treat the Welsh and
English languages as equals.

“We are very concerned about the standard and quality of the debate on
the Bill. The lack of backbone shown by Plaid Cymru on this matter
also raises questions about the ability of the party to respond to the
substantial challenge which faces the Welsh language in our
communities. A challenge which will become even clearer when the
Census results are published.”

A Plaid Cymru spokeswoman said: “Plaid Cymru is of the view that
organisations that aim to use and promote the Welsh language should
unite in their support of the language rather than seek to undermine
each other.”

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/welsh-politics/welsh-politics-news/2012/10/08/cymdeithas-consider-action-against-plaid-cymru-over-language-policy-91466-31991993/#ixzz28oaexBAk

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)