[lg policy] obituary : Robert Cooper

myerssc3@msu.edu myerssc3 at MSU.EDU
Sat Oct 20 17:13:30 UTC 2012

On 10/20/2012 12:03 PM, Bernard Spolsky wrote:

> It is with great sadness that we learn of the death on Friday October
> 19 2002 of Robert L. Cooper, formerly professor at the Hebrew
> University of Jerusalem, after a long illness.
>
>  His classic book, /Language planning and social change/, first
> published by Cambridge University Press in 1989, is at the moment
> being translated into Chinese, a clear sign that his work is still
> widely appreciated. Although Cooper retired from his professorship at
> the Hebrew University shortly after its publication and spent the next
> two decades on activities other than sociolinguistics, his book has
> continued to introduce those fortunate enough to read it to the field
> of language policy.
>
> The book selects four examples of language policy, analyzes them, and
> uses them as the basis for an exploration of the social conditions for
> language management. The four cases he chose are significant ones: the
> foundation of Académie française, the re-establishment of Hebrew as a
> vital vernacular in Palestine, the contemporary efforts to modify the
> chauvinism of grammatical gender, and the program to establish mass
> literacy in Ethiopia. On this basis, he set out the nature of the
> major processes of classical language planning -- the management of
> the status of a language variety, its cultivation for the required
> purposes, and (a new element in the analysis of the field) the
> development of language teaching policy.
>
> Trained originally as an educational psychologist, Cooper essentially
> mapped the sociolinguistic aspects of educational linguistics, showing
> the need to incorporate social dimensions in the notion of language
> ability, and spelling out the place of language educational policy
> (which he labeled "language acquisition planning") as a critical
> element in the social changes associated with language planning and
> management.
>
> After undergraduate training at Harvard and graduate study at the
> University of Pennsylvania, he studied educational psychology with
> R.L. Thorndike and W. MacGinitie at Teachers College and Columbia.
> From 1966-8, he worked with Joshua Fishman, one of the founders of the
> sociology of language and still its leading scholar, on the
> epoch-making study of bilingualism and diglossia in the Jersey City
> /barrio./ His seminal paper "An elaborated language testing model"
> drew on that experience. It was the first clear statement that
> language testing and teaching needed to take into account the
> communicative competence proposed by Dell Hymes rather than the
> rigorous but more narrowly focussed notion of linguistic competence
> being popularized by Noam Chomsky and his followers.
>
> Cooper then spent a year with the pioneering Ford Foundation sponsored
> study of language in Ethiopia. There, along with Charles Ferguson, J.
> Donald Bowen and M. L. Bender, he helped sketch the goals for language
> policy and language education in a complex multilingual society.

> [...]
dear Bernard, I feel great sadness about Bob Cooper! He was much too
young to go!    But thank you for your message.  It is a fitting
tribute, but this is not a happy occasion.
I remember Bob well as such a friendly, open person as well as a great
scholar.   Please give my sympathies to his family.  I am very sorry
for the loss of all of us.  Sincerely, Carol Myers-Scotton