[lg policy] Canada: Trudeau pans PQ push on language

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 27 15:29:09 UTC 2012

Trudeau pans PQ push on language

Friday, 26 October 2012 - 2:03pm
By Martin Oue and Patrice Bergeron THE CANADIAN PRESS

QUEBEC—Justin Trudeau has pressed one of the hottest issue buttons in
Canada, saying there’s no need to toughen Quebec’s language laws.

During a visit to Quebec City, the Liberal leadership candidate was
asked yesterday by reporters about plans by the new Parti Quebecois
provincial government to toughen language laws.

The pro-independence PQ calls the matter urgent, following census data
that suggests a decline in francophones’ demographic weight. Trudeau’s
response: the PQ language policy is unnecessary and
counter-productive. While he expressed support for the old Bill 101,
pointing out that it has allowed French to thrive in Quebec and keep
Canada bilingual, Trudeau said that adding teeth now to the language
law risks needlessly reigniting old battles.

“I think we are revisiting old debates,” Trudeau said in French.

“The majority of people in [my Montreal riding of] Papineau, in Quebec
City, and across Quebec are focused on their jobs, on the economy, on
health care, and on the education of their children, in order to
participate fully in this era of globalization,” he reasoned.
Justin Trudeau’s opinion on language echoes, to a certain extent, the
position of his father, Pierre Elliott Trudeau, who brought official
bilingualism to Canada and criticized the French-only policies of the
PQ.

The younger Trudeau is more supportive of past PQ language policies
than his father was. However, the new PQ government has vowed to
strengthen language laws, saying it needs to protect the French
language and culture.

The PQ campaigned on a promise to extend the law to junior colleges
and smaller businesses. It also has proposed applying it to day care.

In the wake of this week’s census data, the PQ calls the matter
especially urgent.
But Trudeau isn’t alarmed by new figures suggesting a relative decline
of French in Canada and on the island of Montreal, saying it is the
result of demographics and a lower birthrate.
“My concern about reinforcing Bill 101 is that we will find it
punishes Quebec francophones who want their children to develop a
capacity in English, the language of international commerce,” he
remarked.

“I don’t think this is a good direction.”

http://fftimes.com/node/255484
 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)