[lg policy] Arizona Adopts Native American Language Teacher Certification Policy

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 1 15:11:29 UTC 2012

Arizona Adopts Native American Language Teacher Certification Policy

By ICTMN Staff August 31, 2012
            RSS

A new policy will enable certified Native language speakers to teach
their Native languages in Arizona classrooms.

“These Native American languages are in danger of becoming extinct. It
is imperative that we work to support Native American communities in
their efforts to preserve their languages through the generations,”
said Superintendent of Public Instruction John Huppenthal in a press
release.

Of the 22 tribal governments in the state, the Navajo Nation is
already participating, and others are drafting proficiency assessments
to take part.

The Native American Language Certification Policy was developed by the
Arizona Department of Education and Native American tribes and was
unanimously adopted by the State Board of Education.

“I’d like to thank the Department of Education and Superintendent
Huppenthal for supporting Native American language programs and its
traditional teachers,” State Board member Jacob Moore said in the
release. “This is a historical event that honors the recognition of
Native American languages in our education system and will be well
received by tribal nations and communities throughout the state.”

The policy allows those with proficiency in their Native language,
which will be verified by tribal assessments, to apply for a Native
Language Teacher Certificate at the Arizona Department of Education.
This will allow elders and other non-degreed language experts to teach
native languages to students in Arizona schools.

“The new Native American Language Certification will help us preserve
and maintain our language,” said Kathy Kitcheyan, Apache language
mentor teacher at San Carlos Unified School District, in the release.
“I’d like to thank the Superintendent and State Board for having the
Native American Advisory group and for moving this forward. This was a
long time coming.”

Read more:http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2012/08/31/arizona-adopts-native-american-language-teacher-certification-policy-132383
http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2012/08/31/arizona-adopts-native-american-language-teacher-certification-policy-132383#ixzz25EOSNiPC

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)