[lg policy] Terralingua Langscape Volume 2, Issue 11

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 7 14:27:48 UTC 2012

Forwarded From: Terralingua <info at terralingua.org>
Date: Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Terralingua Langscape Volume 2, Issue 11

  If you're having trouble viewing this email, you may see it
online<http://e2ma.net/map/view:CampaignPublic/id:1405789.11107913530/rid=c00bec19fd181d5b00db1fd7b8838d79>.

  Share This:
<http://social.e2ma.net/next/e/1405789/5f3e5c80ba6b6b7489c80aa48fea641f/11107913530/?mrid=c00bec19fd181d5b00db1fd7b8838d79><http://social.e2ma.net/next/t/1405789/5f3e5c80ba6b6b7489c80aa48fea641f/11107913530/><http://social.e2ma.net/next/f/1405789/5f3e5c80ba6b6b7489c80aa48fea641f/11107913530/><http://social.e2ma.net/next/l/1405789/5f3e5c80ba!%206b6b7489c80aa48fea641f/11107913530/>
     <http://e2ma.net/go/11107913530/208949370/234785647/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/blog/2012/09/06/terralingua-langscape-volume-2-issue-11/>

<http://e2ma.net/go/11107913530/208949370/234785646/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/blog/2012/09/06/terralingua-langscape-volume-2-issue-11/>

 [image: Donate to
Terralingua]<http://e2ma.net/go/11107913530/208949370/234785645/1405789/goto:https://npo.networkforgood.org/Donate/Donate.aspx?npoSubscriptionId=288>

become an active part of the effort to protect the world's
 linguistic, cultural, and biological diversity.

  Are you subscribed to Langscape?
Join Terralingua to receive Langscape.
Link  here.<http://e2ma.net/go/11107913530/208949370/234785716/1405789/goto:https://app.e2ma.net/app/view:Join/signupId:1413322/acctId:1405789>

 Back Issues of Langscape are available on our website at:
 http://www.terralingua.org<http://e2ma.net/go/11107913530/208949370/234785717/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/lit/langscape/>
 /lit/langscape/<http://e2ma.net/go/11107913530/208949370/234785718/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/lit/langscape/>

September 6, 2012

 It is our joy to present to you the latest issue of Langscape: Sacred
Natural Sites; Sources of Biocultural Diversity.

 Click here to download *Langscape** *Volume 2, Issue
11<http://e2ma.net/go/11107913530/208949370/234785719/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/blog/2012/09/06/terralingua-langscape-volume-2-issue-11/>
<http://e2ma.net/go/11107913530/208949370/234785720/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/?p=2624>

Join Terralingua and the Sacred Natural Sites Initiative as we explore the
rich interconnections between Sacred Natural Sites and Biocultural Diversity
.

Biocultural Diversity  is a living network made up of the millions of
species of plants and animals that have evolved in relationship with
thousands of human cultures and languages. Languages, cultures, and
ecosystems are interdependent. They’re bound together through the myriad
ways in which people have interacted with the natural environment,
material, social and spiritual.

Through a unique lens of stories, photographs, articles, and a diversity of
perspectives this volume of Langscape introduces you to the value of Sacred
Natural Sites as valuable sources of biocultural diversity. They are the
amongst the oldest places at which intersecting human culture and wild
nature have deeply shaped humanity. Their conservation is complex but
important not only for the survival of biodiversity and cultural diversity
but also for  human well-being and life as a whole.

The collaboration between Terralingua and the Sacred Natural Sites
Initiative started with the “Voices of the Earth” project which supports
custodians of sacred groves in Zanzibar and Ghana to conserve their groves
and resources through building on their oral history and biocultural
diversity.

Collaboration has also delivered us the opportunity to work together on
this volume of Langscape and to take you on this this journey in support of
the custodians and communities of sacred natural sites. It is therefore
timely that we explore sacred natural sites as sources of biocultural
diversity and share the lessons learned from this journey. We hope you will
enjoy journeying with us through this special volume of Langscape and we
hope you too will share what you will learn with others.

 Luisa Maffi and Ortixia Dilts - Terralingua
Bas Verschuuren, Robert Wild – Sacred Natural Sites Initiative

          Terralingua’s Langscape is intended to be an educational
resource.  Whether a student or professor, an indigenous knowledge keeper,
or concerned citizen: Langscape provides the in depth stories that are
invaluable to make a convincing case for the preservation of biocultural
diversity.

Langscape gives voice, by real world examples, to the relationships between
linguistic, cultural and biodiveristy, and explores its impacts for human
well-being in all its dimensions: economic, ecological, health, and the
teachings of the ancestors.

Through this publication we challenge preconceptions about language and
cultural diversity.  We breathe life into biocultural diversity, showing
their importance to our economic and ecological and ethical future.
* *
*Share the Knowledge: Take part in the Langscape movement.*
*
*
 If you feel as passionate as we do about the potential of this work,
please consider becoming part of this movement.

   - *Spread the Word:* help distribute Langscape through your networks and
   social media, introduce Langscape to your local library or institution.
   - *Share your Knowledge*: consider sending a submission of your work for
   publication in Langscape.
   - *Put in your two cents!*  Langscape continues to be a free publication
   available to all facets of the global community.  Please consider making a
   donation so that we may further this work.   Terralingua now has charitable
   status in both Canada and the USA.
   - And finally, we are looking to offer print versions of this emerging
   magazine in the future for educational programs in schools and public
   information.  If you have expertise, resources, or advice in this field to
   offer please contact our editor.  If you are interested in receiving future
   issues in print, please let us know as well, so that we can take this into
   consideration for our next steps.

 Thank you for reading,

Ortixia Dilts

Editor, Langscape
Creative Designer, Terralingua

                                            217 Baker Road | Salt Spring
Island, B.C. | V8K 2N6 | Canada

This email was sent to *haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu*. To ensure that you
continue receiving our emails, please add us to your
address book or safe list.

*manage*<http://e2ma.net/app/view:Manage/signupId:1413322/id:1405789.11107913530/rid:c00bec19fd181d5b00db1fd7b8838d79>your
preferences |
*opt out*<http://e2ma.net/app/view:OptOut/ID:1405789.11107913530/signupId:1413322/rid:c00bec19fd181d5b00db1fd7b8838d79>using