[lg policy] International School of Milan Language Policy

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 8 14:45:07 UTC 2012

International School of Milan
Language Policy

GENERAL LANGUAGE PHILOSOPHY

The ISM community is made up of people of various national and cultural
backgrounds who come
together to study, learn and create long-lasting bonds. At ISM, diversity
in all forms is celebrated and
recognized as a wealth of opportunities for growth and enrichment. As
languages are an integral part
of such diversity, we recognize the value for all members of our school
community in being able to
develop skills in additional languages, while maintaining the mother
tongue. Acquisition of more than
one language opens access to different cultures and perspectives and helps
facilitate internationalmindedness.
For this reason, as well as provision for learning English and our host
country language,
Italian, we strongly encourage our students to learn another language.
English is the language of instruction and access to learning is therefore
dependent on the student’s
ability to comprehend and communicate effectively in this language.
Consequently, a primary goal of
our programme is to bring all students to a level of competence in English,
which enables them to
access the curriculum fully and effectively. All teachers (except those who
teach other languages) are
responsible for supporting students in reaching this goal. The school
provides professional
development to assist teachers in carrying out this aspect of their role.

More at
http://www.ism-ac.it/nuovo/documenti/pdf/policy/ISM%20Language%20Policy.pdf