[lg policy] Canada: Language Policy and Planning Conference

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 10 14:49:05 UTC 2012

Language Policy and Planning Conference

UToday HomeSeptember 7, 2012

The Faculty of Education and Language Research Centre are co-hosting
the first annual Multidisciplinary Approaches in Language Policy and
Planning Conference from Sept. 6-8.

Academics from 25 countries are presenting original research on
language policy as it relates to such hot-button issues as national
identity, political theory and globalization. Research shared
demonstrates ways in which scholars provide relevant insights useful
in the creation, modification, and evaluation of language policies at
all levels of society.

“Language issues continue to be deliberated and often legislated on
every continent and language matters have been front and centre in
Canada for the past 50 years,” says Tom Ricento, conference organizer
and chair of the Faculty of Education’s English as an additional
language program. “In the wake of Official Bilingualism and
Multiculturalism, debates continue about how to balance the rights and
interests of speakers of the two official languages with those who
speak other languages, usually in addition to English and French.”

Although intended for academics, students, and policy-makers,
conference organizer and director of the Language Research Centre,
Mary Grantham O’Brien, feels all could benefit from this dialogue.

“Whether or not we realize it, language policy has an impact on our
daily lives, from the ideas we have about languages and their speakers
to the way in which we receive the services that we take for granted,”
she says. “A very basic example is the labelling of our food in both
official languages in Canada.”

Graham Fraser, Commissioner of Official Languages, will give a
presentation entitled, Planning for Language Use: The Ever-Changing
Challenges, on Friday, Sept. 7. In addition to Fraser’s talk, there
will be plenary sessions by three internationally prominent scholars:
Elana Shohamy, Tel Aviv University; Francois Grin, University of
Geneva; and Peter Ives, University of Winnipeg. A roundtable
discussion headed by Fraser and the plenary speakers on the topic LPP
Research: Future Directions, Gaps in Our Knowledge, Policy Priorities
will be held Saturday afternoon.

“The fact that Canada’s official languages commissioner will speak at
the conference demonstrates the relevance of language policy as an
academic discipline, not only in Canada, but globally,” says Ricento.

It’s a sentiment Grantham O’Brien echoes.

“In Canada we take minority language rights seriously, and we pride
ourselves on embracing multilingualism,” says Grantham O’Brien.
“Attendees will be shocked to learn about what multilingualism—or a
lack thereof—looks like in other parts of the world. Language policy
and planning often go on without the knowledge of the citizens, but
their effects are far-reaching.”

Full conference details can be found at educ.ucalgary.ca/lpp/

http://www.ucalgary.ca/news/utoday/september7-2012/language

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)