[lg policy] Re: What is David Starkey up to here?

Dave Sayers D.Sayers at SWANSEA.AC.UK
Mon Sep 24 19:34:10 UTC 2012

Ok peeps... after receiving a number of interesting responses, and also separately consulting
someone who I remembered is an expert in the study of rhetoric, I think I've determined that there
is no specific name for this particular rhetorical manoeuvre. To recap, this is where someone
describes a hypothetical conversation, in which s/he voices an opinion. This allows the opinion to
be expressed, without actually 'saying' it (e.g. David Starkey here: http://goo.gl/nUG7e).

To round up the responses so far, although this rhetorical device doesn't have a specific name, it
does fall into some broader categories:

1. Dog-whistling: a term originating in Australia, meaning a message that means one thing to a
general audience, but something extra (often more sinister) to a certain subsection of that audience.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog-whistle_politics

2. "Preterizione" in Italian (which seems to be the English for preterition, aka apohasis).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preterition
I had wondered about this one myself originally, but Starkey's trick just doesn't seem to fit quite
well enough. He's not "describing what something is by explaining what it is not"; he's describing a
hypothetical conversation, in which his actual opinion is embedded. Similarly it doesn't quite fit
the meaning of the associated rhetorical terms, paralipsis, or (maybe the nearest miss) occultatio.

3. A kind of prosopopoeia - speaking as something else - allied, perhaps, with a kind of irony - in
the sense of distancing.

4. Making it into a hypothetical quotation adds a kind of passive voice.

These are all relevant things to say about what Starkey is up to here, but I don't think they really
hit the nail on the head (or, sadly, hit Starkey on the head).

Now, I am a shy and retiring soul really... I generally shun the limelight (ahem), but I think it's
time for a new term to capture this specific rhetorical strategy. As William Saroyan once wrote,
"Have no shame in being kindly and gentle, but if the time comes in the time of your life to kill,
kill and have no regret." I'm not about to kill anyone, but I will create a rhetorical term and have
no regret. How about........

HYPOTHETITIO

This is meant to achieve two things: 1) be a play on the word 'hypothetical', which is what this
rhetorical strategy does -- it describes a hypothetical conversation so that the speaker can
communicate an opinion whilst never actually really technically explicitly really saying it; and 2)
sound all technical and clever, and similar to other rhetorical terms like dispositio, confirmatio,
elocutio, insultatio, occupatio, and of course, occultatio.

What do we think folks? Here, I made a Doodle poll for you to vote (no registration needed).

http://doodle.com/kns3c774uf3qiwfa

Please vote and let me know what you think. If there's enough enthusiasm for it, I'll make a brand
spanking new entry in Wikipedia. If not, then it's back to the drawing board......

Dave

--
Dr. Dave Sayers
Honorary Research Fellow, Arts & Humanities, Swansea University
dave.sayers at cantab.net
http://swansea.academia.edu/DaveSayers