[lg policy] Alabama: Elberta Police officer fired for offensive language, breach of policy

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Sat Aug 3 14:40:58 UTC 2013

 Elberta Police officer fired for offensive language, breach of policy

Town Council takes action after allegations of offensive language and other
municipal policy violations

 <http://www.gulfcoastnewstoday.com/content/tncms/live/#>
      <http://www.gulfcoastnewstoday.com/area_news/article_931d88e2-fbae-11e2-9472-0019bb2963f4.html?mode=image&photo=0>

CATHY HIGGINS/Staff Photo
Town of Elberta

2013. *

By CATHY HIGGINS Onlooker Editor onlooker at gulfcoastnewspapers.com | 0 comments
<http://www.gulfcoastnewstoday.com/area_news/article_931d88e2-fbae-11e2-9472-0019bb2963f4.html#user-comment-area>

ELBERTA, Ala. — The town of Elberta terminated Police Officer Ric Rouse
this week.Following a special executive session Wednesday evening, the Town
Council unanimously voted to dismiss Ric Rouse from the Elberta Police
Department.

“We had several assertions that people had made,” Elberta Mayor Marvin
Williams said in an interview.

Among them was Rouse’s use of racially offensive language, an issue that
had been addressed previously in 2012.

“There was an incident in his record,” Williams said.

Therefore, when Elberta Police Chief Stan DeVane took office in the spring
of 2012 he conducted sensitivity training for Elberta staff and municipal
leaders.

Williams stressed the importance of not using racially offensive language.

“In today’s society, you can’t do that,” he said.

The mayor also said action was taken because town policies were broken. One
policy involved Rouse’s failure to follow procedures after a vehicular
accident.

“If you get into an accident, you’re supposed to contact your supervisor
immediately and submit to a drug test within two hours,” Williams said.

Rouse had worked as a full-time officer with the Elberta Police Department
for the past three years and part time for at least two years before that.
His dismissal means the second recent loss of an officer.

“We had already lost one of our officers to Orange Beach,” Williams said.

Including DeVane, the Elberta Police Department has six law-enforcement
officers. Williams said efforts are under way to fill the two vacancies.

“We’re interviewing anybody whom is APOSCT (Alabama Peace Officers
Standards and Training Commission) certified,” he said.
http://www.gulfcoastnewstoday.com/area_news/article_931d88e2-fbae-11e2-9472-0019bb2963f4.html