[lg policy] Connecticut: New Britain schools plan bad language policy

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 26 16:18:00 UTC 2013

                      New Britain schools plan bad language policy

   -

By    Kent Pierce

   - Updated: Monday, August 26, 2013, 11:48 AM EDT
   - Published: Monday, August 26, 2013, 8:43 AM EDT

   1.  (1/4)(WTNH) -- School officials in New Britain are looking to take a
   hard stance against bad language used by students.
   2.   (2/4)
   3.   (3/4)
   4.

   -
   -

  NEW BRITAIN, Conn. (WTNH) -- School officials in New Britain are looking
to take a hard stance against bad language used by students.

"Don't talk smack and don't show crack," said Superintendent Kelt Cooper,
New Britain School District.

New Britain's Superintendent unveiled that new policy to an auditorium full
of cheering teachers from all over the district. "Don't talk smack, don't
show crack" evolved from an encounter Cooper had with a student with droopy
pants and a bad attitude.

"And I step back and I go 'Son will you please pull up your pants?' And he
begins to drop the F-bomb at me...blah blah blah...and I'm looking at him
and my jaw drops," said Cooper.

Cooper is no stranger to controversial policies. He is also in favor of a
plan to fine parents $75 if their kids are caught skipping school. Parents
don't like that, but New Britain schools have made improvements in the last
year.

Almost all elementary school test scores are up, especially among fifth
graders, and elementary school truancy is down by almost half. Students who
use profanity to teachers and staff will now face a 5-10 day suspension
from school.

Superintendent Cooper says this policy might not be popular with parents.

"When you're talking about disciplining their kids, they get all bowed up
and they'll say are you telling me how to raise my kid," Cooper said. "And
sometimes you want to say, yes I am telling you how to raise your kid
because you're doing a bad job."

Students who do talk smack will get sent home with a bar of soap: a
suggested punishment for their parents to consider.

http://www.wtnh.com/news/hartford-cty/new-britain-schools-plan-bad-language-policy