[lg policy] Deported U.S. citizen finally gets passport back

Francis Hult francis.hult at ENGLUND.LU.SE
Mon Dec 2 06:53:47 UTC 2013

NY Daily News

Deported U.S. citizen finally gets passport back

After being deported from JFK Airport, stuck in exile and later detained by immigration officials, U.S. citizen Blanca Maria Alfaro is relieved to have a passport again.

"This isn't fair, all of this that they have done to me. I wouldn't want it to happen to anyone else," said Alfaro, who is now living in Long Island's Huntington Station. Her new passport arrived in the mail Nov. 19.

Alfaro, 33, was born in Houston, Tex. But because she relocated with her father to his native El Salvador when she was 4, she speaks Spanish instead of English.

Her lawyer believes that federal officials, focusing on cracking down on immigration fraud, violated Alfaro's due process rights as a U.S. citizen.

Full story:
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/deported-u-s-citizen-finally-passport-back-article-1.1534331?google_editors_picks=true