[lg policy] India: Jammu and Kashmir to formulate its own education policy

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 10 15:25:05 UTC 2013

J&K to formulate its own education policy
*Navneet Dubey
<http://www.hindustantimes.com/Search/search.aspx?q=Navneet%20Dubey&op=auth>,
Hindustan Times*
Jammu, December 09, 2013

First Published: 18:07 IST(9/12/2013)
Last Updated: 18:08 IST(9/12/2013)

The state government recently constituted an expert panel to work on
formulating an education policy for Jammu and Kashmir.
"For the past so many years, we have been working according to the central
education policy we had adopted. For long, it was being felt that we need
to adopt a policy which suits our state's requirement. So, in order to
redraft the education policy, we have constituted an expert panel. We want
a policy which pertains to our environment and is as per our requirement",
said Hirdesh Kumar, state education secretary.

Desiring an education policy which could also envisage future needs, Kumar
said, "The panel will also work on a School Education Vision Document 2025,
which deals with the kind of scenario that may exist after 15 years and how
to meet and incorporate such requirements in our policy. A vision document
will provide us a direction for the future."

The expert panel will also work on formulating a new language policy, he
said, adding, "Right now, in J&K, English language is the main medium of
education in schools. We want to have a new language policy so that we can
teach in multiple languages, and the mother tongue at primary levels."

Kumar added, "The state is in the final stages of making a new law more
advanced than the Centre's Right to Education Act. The finance and planning
departments have given their approval to this proposed law, and the matter
is now with the law department. We hope to get approval soon."

"While the Centre's Act gives children aged between six and 14 years the
right to education, our law will provide for children between four and 16
years," he claimed.

The panel will furnish the report with its recommendations within three
months.

The panel comprises academicians, intellectuals, activists and experts
including, Prof Farida Khan, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi, as the
chairperson; Masud Choudhary, former vice-chancellor of BGSB University,
Rajouri; Prof Ramakant Agnihotri, advisory of Vidhya Bhawan Society,
Udaipur (Rajasthan); Prof AG Madhosh, former dean, Faculty of Education,
University of Kashmir; Prof Rekha Choudhary, former dean, Research Studies,
University of Jammu; Sonam Angchuk, SECMOL, Leh; Prof Ajit Angral, Jammu;
Dr Nandini Manjreker, School of Education, Centre for Sociology, Tata
Institute of Social Science, Mumbai; Jamal Kidwai, director of Aman Trust,
New Delhi; and GN Masudi, former joint director principal SIE, Srinagar.
- See more at:
http://www.hindustantimes.com/news-feed/jammusec/j-amp-k-to-formulate-its-own-education-policy/article1-1160766.aspx#sthash.pZYxZNML.dpuf