[lg policy] Truro City Council adopt new Cornish language policy

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jul 13 13:29:14 UTC 2013

 Truro City Council adopt new Cornish language policy
[image: Trusted article source icon]
 Thursday, July 11, 2013
 <http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/people/West%20Briton/profile.html>

<http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/Truro-City-Council-adopt-new-Cornish-language/story-19506016-detail/story.html#>

THE CORNISH language will appear on signs across Truro after a new policy
was adopted by the city council.

The Cornish language policy voted in at a Truro City Council meeting means
it aims to include it and English on the signs of street names and public
conveniences, such as toilets, whenever signage is replaced.

Councillor Conan Jenkin who suggested the move, said: "I am delighted that
the city council has agreed this policy and I hope other local councils and
public institutions will be inspired to follow suit.

"It is important that the rest of Cornwall knows that the Cornish language
is valued and supported in Cornwall's capital. I look forward to seeing
more bilingual signage across Cornwall and more pride in Cornwall's
indigenous language."
   [image: Main image for Lighthouse Electrical Bodmin]
<http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/shopping/home-appliances/lighthouse-electrical-bodmin/business-18191813-detail/business.html>
 Chest freezer £149 cash n carry

Lighthouse Electrical
Bodmin<http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/shopping/home-appliances/lighthouse-electrical-bodmin/business-18191813-detail/business.html>
View details<http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/Truro-City-Council-adopt-new-Cornish-language/story-19506016-detail/story.html#>

Print voucher<http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/voucher-details.html?id=19516847>

    The city will use the standard written form of the Cornish language as
its preferred version, and has also agreed to help promote the language
internationally to raise awareness. Reaction has been mixed, and on
Facebook, Emily Dodge wrote: "Another waste of public money."

Gary Scofied commented: "No, pointless. No one can read it, very few read
or speak Cornish."

But Stephen Richardson said: "The point is that this is a very cheap way to
promote Cornish culture and tourism without any additional cost.

"New signs would basically cost the same when they were ordered and I'm
sure that no one is suggesting taking down every sign and replacing it."

Cornish is a Brythonic Celtic language protected by government legislation
under the European Charter for Regional or Minority Languages.

Read more:
http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/Truro-City-Council-adopt-new-Cornish-language/story-19506016-detail/story.html#ixzz2Yvq2Mffd
Follow us: @thisiscornwall on
Twitter<http://ec.tynt.com/b/rw?id=c_G-Ciaymr4ONkacwqm_6l&u=thisiscornwall>|