[lg policy] The prehistory of language policy

Dave Sayers D.Sayers at SWANSEA.AC.UK
Fri Jul 26 12:59:56 UTC 2013

Hello assembled folks who are not currently on holiday...

Can anyone recommend a concise reading covering examples of 'language policy' from
ancient times up to the French Revolution? (Or maybe up to the Reformation?) I'm
doing an intro lecture for an LPP course I'm designing, with an overview of such
historical precursors, and I'm hoping to find a short reading to go with it.

There is an excellent historical review of such precursors in France and India
provided by our benevolent mailing list overlord Hal Schiffman, in 'Linguistic
Culture and Language Policy'  -- http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0415184061/. Similarly,
the various contributors to 'Language Policy and National Unity',
http://goo.gl/0iZ2mj, give some good historical reviews for their respective countries.

However, these aren't really framed as a review of the prehistory of language policy
as such, more the prehistory of language policies in these particular polities.
They're also not really a concise type of summary.

Bernard Spolsky's 'Language Policy' http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0521011752 has some
mention of historical precursors in various contexts, mostly in ch.2-3, but these are
sort of peppered throughout the chapters -- again, a little too dispersed for what
I'm after.

There are some pertinent points in Vivien Law's 'The History of Linguistics in
Europe: From Plato to 1600', e.g. p.155
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=4QOTTpX2NTMC&pg=PA115, but that's more about the
study of language, not really language policies.

I was hoping for something shorter, ideally a chapter in a textbook about these sorts
of historical precursors to what we now call language policy.

Any thoughts, folks?

Dave

--
Dr. Dave Sayers
Honorary Research Fellow, Arts & Humanities, Swansea University, UK
dave.sayers at cantab.net
http://swansea.academia.edu/DaveSayers