Fwd: [lg policy] A Conversation Analytic study of Language Policy as practices: examples from an EFL classroom of a Swedish school

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 4 15:32:05 UTC 2014

Forwarded From: Alia Amir <alia.amir at liu.se>
Date: Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 10:21 AM

 A Conversation Analytic study of Language Policy as practices: examples
from an EFL classroom of a Swedish school

 I am a researcher based at Linköping University in Sweden. I use
Conversation Analysis to study language policy as it is lived out in
practice. For my PhD dissertation, I focused on classroom interaction to
see how language policy in practice is lived out in an EFL classroom, how
the language policy is *done* by the participants and what are the various
ways of doing language policing (Amir, 2013) in action?

I will be talking about the findings of my PhD study carried out in a
Swedish school and will be advocating the use of CA to work look at
practiced language policy (Bonacina, 2010) at Lund University (Sweden) in
cooperation with the Language Policy Network Denmark. Kindly see the
following links for further details:

http://cip.ku.dk/english/research/network/lpn/

http://www.sol.lu.se/sol/kalendarium/

Title: A Conversation Analytic study of Language Policy as practices:
examples from an EFL classroom of a Swedish school

Abstract

Within the LP studies, recently the trend has been shifting towards more
ethnographic and practice-based approaches with a growing number of studies
dealing with language policy in a wider range of settings. An emerging
research paradigm of LP (Ricento, 2000, 2006; Shohamy, 2006; Spolsky, 2004;
Spolsky & Shohamy, 2000) has emerged and many interactional studies have
approached language policy and language norms at the micro-level.

Ricento & Hornberger (1996) used the metaphor of an onion to describe
language policy, which not only has various layers but different shapes and
sizes, for instance different levels of education like pre-school, primary,
secondary and tertiary education, etc. Each layer needs a different
methodology and approach to uncover language policy, both at micro level as
well as macro-level.

This study will focus on an emerging strand of research within language
policy studies i.e. language policy as practices or lived-out language
policy in actual interactions. Researchers within this strand of research
have used Conversation Analysis to study practices in actual interactions
instead of policy as discourse or texts. For my doctoral dissertation, I
looked at practiced language policy of classroom participants from an EFL
Swedish context. Even though language policy as discourses and text are an
important way to explore different levels of language policy, but my stance
is that practiced language policy (Bonacina, 2012) is an important layer of
language policy and this must be looked at, in order to see what the
members themselves orient to instead of looking at what someone else wants
them to do (Spolsky, 2007). The focus of the study is to look at different
ways of doing language policy which means looking at different
sub-categories of doing language policy. The most explicit way of doing
language policy is language policing which refers to the mechanism deployed
by the teacher and/or the pupils to (re-)establish the normatively
prescribed medium of classroom interaction (Amir & Musk, 2013; cf. Bonacina
& Gafaranga, 2011).

The data comes from sequential analyses of 20 hours of video recordings in
grades 8 & 9 of an international compulsory school in Sweden between the
years 2007-2010. Drawing on Auer (1984) and Gafaranga's (1999)
organisational code-switching framework, this study sheds light on how
teachers and pupils switch to English in their interactions. As will be
demonstrated, both teachers and pupils, while orienting to the English-only
norm, use a three-step sequence for language policing.

Best regards

Alia Amir (alia.amir at liu.se)

   [image: Linköpings universitet]

[image: sigill_96dpi_50px]

Alia Amir, PhD.

Department of Culture and Communication
Linköping University
581 83 Linköping
Sweden
Phone: +46 13 286965
Mobile: +46 76 2316873

Visiting address: 4129, Key building , Campus Valla

Please visit us at www.liu.se
[if you wish: www.liu.se/enhet]

To manage your subscription unsubscribe, or arrange digest format:

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com