[lg policy] Cornish declared a national minority in UK

Gabriel Gonzalez Nunez Gabriel.GonzalezNunez at ARTS.KULEUVEN.BE
Fri Apr 25 08:32:18 UTC 2014

Hello Dave,

Thanks for bringing this up. Indeed language is an important part of this announcement, which can be read in full here (including some specific comments on language):

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/cornish-granted-minority-status-within-the-uk

I find myself quite skeptical about what this all means, however. Your insight about Scottish independence seems to confirm my skepticism. The announcement claims that "[t]he decision to recognise the unique identity of the Cornish, now affords them the same status under the European Framework Convention for the Protection of National Minorities as the UK's other Celtic people, the Scots, the Welsh and the Irish." Well, what does that mean, exactly? In reality, "the UK's other Celtic people" do not seem to have any special status that the Cornish  lacked under the Framework Convention for the Protection of National Minorities (FCNM). Here's why I believe that to be the case:

When the UK submitted its first report in 1999, it addressed the issue of the meaning of "national minority" in the UK as follows:

"National Minority" is not a legally defined term within the UK. Our report is based on the definition of racial group as set out in the Race Relations Act 1976 which defines a racial group as "a group of persons defined by colour, race, nationality (including citizenship) or ethnic or national origins." This includes our ethnic minority communities (or visible minorities) and the Scots, Irish and Welsh, who are defined as a racial group by virtue of their national origins. Gypsies (and Travellers in Northern Ireland) are also considered a racial group under the Act. It should be stressed, however, that these historic national identities within the UK are in no way ethnically exclusive. Members of ethnic minority communities, just as much as the rest of the UK population, may feel an identity with one or other of the UK's constituent parts. Being Welsh, for example, does not depend upon being white." (paragraph 2)

While this definition does not specifically mention the Cornish, it does not exclude them either. The idea is that the UK has no official "national minority" status (which other European countries do). This is stated quite explicitly in the second report, submitted in 2007:

"The term "national minority" has no legal meaning in the UK and so there is no mechanism under any of the UK's legal jurisdictions to grant "national minority status" to any particular group nor is it proposed to introduce such a mechanism. The UK's discrimination laws protect all individuals from being treated less favourably on racial grounds, whether they belong to a "minority" group or a "majority" group. There is no comprehensive list of "recognised" groups." (paragraph 16).

The FCNM therefore offers not special legal status to national minorities in the UK, and consequently there is no official list of recognized groups. Recognition in the UK is of racial groups, and only the court can make a final pronouncement as to whether a certain group is or is not a racial group. (This position is confirmed in the third report, submitted in 2010.)

So the announcement seems a bit misleading. That's why I am not sure the announcement means much of a change at all from previous policies. The key legal concept in the UK continues to be that of racial groups, as the term "national minority" still has no legal status. As far as I can tell, no Act of Parliament or Statutory Instrument granting any specific rights to the Cornish has been passed. Further, I see no specific obligations being imposed on government bodies in relation to this announcement. In fact, all the announcement can point to in terms of specific measures is "that the government would be investing a further £120,000 into the Cornish Language Partnership (MAGA) to promote and develop the language." But a promise of additional funding for MAGA is a far cry from a Language Act or, for that matter, a legal mechanism creating a special status.

The announcement states: "The government's approach to the Framework Convention is to be modified to recognise the unique position of the Cornish as a Celtic people within England. It is without prejudice as to whether the Cornish meet the definition of "racial group" under the Equality Act 2010, as only the courts can rule on that." I am not sure what that means in practice, since I am not aware of any legal developments in the UK that would give the Cornish a special status. Perhaps the report for the fourth monitoring cycle, which is due on May 1st 2014, will specifically mention the Cornish as being protected, but that's not such a big development. Previous reports did not exclude the Cornish because a) racial groups are what's protected under UK law; 2) there is no such thing as a list of recognized "racial groups". They simply did not specifically mention the Cornish.

So this announcement seems to be little more than a political move. At least right now. But perhaps I'm missing something (in which case, I would love to be made aware of it).

Sincerely,

Gabriel González Núñez

Marie Curie Actions Fellow

European Project TIME - Translation Research Training: An integrated and intersectoral model for Europe

KU Leuven