[lg policy] Hong Kong: Relax civil service language policy to attract best talent

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 12 14:55:09 UTC 2014

 Relax civil service language policy to attract best talent

Richard Sheung says language requirements constitute radical localisation
    PUBLISHED : Monday, 11 August, 2014, 4:59pm
UPDATED : Tuesday, 12 August, 2014, 1:42am

Richard Sheung
        Most Popular <http://www.scmp.com/most-popular>

   - Viewed
   <http://www.scmp.com/comment/article/1571376/relax-civil-service-language-policy-attract-best-talent#qt-most_popular-ui-tabs1>
   - Shared
   <http://www.scmp.com/comment/article/1571376/relax-civil-service-language-policy-attract-best-talent#qt-most_popular-ui-tabs2>
   - Commented
   <http://www.scmp.com/comment/article/1571376/relax-civil-service-language-policy-attract-best-talent#qt-most_popular-ui-tabs3>

   1. Xi Jinping's wider ambitions in rooting out graft
   <http://scmp.com/news/china/article/1570872/xi-jinpings-wider-ambitions-rooting-out-graft>
   2. Guo Meimei scandal shows Chinese Red Cross must clean up its act
   <http://scmp.com/comment/insight-opinion/article/1570876/guo-meimei-scandal-shows-chinese-red-cross-must-clean-its>
   3. It’s a shame to let a China food scandal go to waste
   <http://scmp.com/comment/blogs/article/1571442/its-shame-let-china-food-scandal-go-waste>
   4. Prostitution thrives as officials say one thing and do another
   <http://scmp.com/comment/insight-opinion/article/1570077/prostitution-thrives-officials-say-one-thing-and-do-another>
   5. Hong Kong's elite clueless about the pain of coping with tourist flood
   <http://scmp.com/comment/article/1569100/hong-kongs-elite-clueless-about-pain-coping-tourist-flood>

     We recommend
  [image: 'Frances Ha', a comedy about the misadventures of a dance
student, taps 1980s indie films for its look and feel]
 Lifestyle
 'Frances Ha', a comedy about the misadventures of a dance student…

<http://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/arts-culture/article/1564213/frances-ha-comedy-about-misadventures-dance-student-taps>
 [image: Camps split on candidate limits for chief executive election]
 News
 Camps split on candidate limits for chief executive election

<http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/1570912/camps-split-candidate-limits-chief-executive-election>
 [image: China censors giant inflatable toad story after comparisons with
former Communist Party chief]
 News
 China censors giant inflatable toad story after comparisons with…

<http://www.scmp.com/news/china/article/1557453/china-censors-giant-inflatable-toad-reports-after-web-users-compare-it>
 [image: China 'increasing number of missile warheads']
 News
 China 'increasing number of missile warheads'

<http://www.scmp.com/news/china/article/1566294/china-increasing-number-missile-warheads>
 [image: Political and economic reforms key if Xi Jinping is to win the war
on graft]
 Comment
 Political and economic reforms key if Xi Jinping is to win the war on…

<http://www.scmp.com/comment/insight-opinion/article/1569602/political-and-economic-reforms-key-if-xi-jinping-win-war>
 [image: Time for a hand in marriage]
 News
 Time for a hand in marriage
  <http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/1570788/time-hand-marriage>
 [image: China's Dragon King Bridge connects two architectural concepts]
 Lifestyle
 China's Dragon King Bridge connects two architectural concepts

<http://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/technology/article/1558276/chinas-dragon-king-bridge-connects-two-architectural-concepts>
 [image: Museum of Sex show turns on New Yorkers]
 Lifestyle
 Museum of Sex show turns on New Yorkers

<http://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/arts-culture/article/1564256/museum-sex-show-turns-new-yorkers>
 [image: Thousands of Hongkongers join sex club to fulfil their X-rated
fantasies]
 Lifestyle
 Thousands of Hongkongers join sex club to fulfil their X-rated…

<http://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/arts-culture/article/1565547/sex-club-helps-adventurous-hongkongers-fulfil-their-fantasies>
 [image: Hopewell planning application angers Kennedy Road residents]
 Business
 Hopewell planning application angers Kennedy Road residents

<http://www.scmp.com/business/article/1569596/hopewell-planning-application-angers-kennedy-road-residents>
 [image: Proposed giant tidal plant for mainland China is far-off dream]
 Business
 Proposed giant tidal plant for mainland China is far-off dream

<http://www.scmp.com/business/china-business/article/1556881/proposed-giant-tidal-plant-mainland-china-far-dream>
 [image: Tycoon bids for a piece of Central Police Station project]
 Business
 Tycoon bids for a piece of Central Police Station project

<http://www.scmp.com/business/article/1563029/tycoon-bids-piece-central-police-station-project>
 [image: Adopted daughter left stateless thanks to inefficient bureaucrats]
 Comment
 Adopted daughter left stateless thanks to inefficient bureaucrats

<http://www.scmp.com/comment/letters/article/1560714/adopted-daughter-left-stateless-thanks-inefficient-bureaucrats>
 [image: SCMP Debate: How could the chief executive nominating committee be
more representative?]
 Comment
 SCMP Debate: How could the chief executive nominating committee be…

<http://www.scmp.com/comment/debates/article/1560575/scmp-debate-how-could-chief-executive-nominating-committee-be-more>
 [image: China is far from securing its world role]
 Comment
 China is far from securing its world role

<http://www.scmp.com/comment/insight-opinion/article/1556512/china-far-securing-its-world-role>
  Recommended by
<http://www.scmp.com/comment/article/1571376/relax-civil-service-language-policy-attract-best-talent#>

   - [image: hk_government_documents.jpg]
   <http://www.scmp.com/sites/default/files/styles/980w/public/2014/08/11/hk_government_documents.jpg?itok=4_z7P_2l>

  Policy papers and public speeches that are primarily intended for a local
audience are originally drafted in Chinese, with an English translation
that may carry less weight. Photo: Reuters

As one of the newly recruited government translators back in the early
eighties, I can still remember that we were bemused by the quaint title of
our post "Chinese Language Officer". It was not as though Chinese was the
only language that we knew, nor were we the only officers who knew Chinese.

It was shortly before the signing of the Joint Declaration and the colonial
government was still dominated by expatriate officers at the more senior
levels. English was indisputably the working language of the civil service.
But, back then, English was the only language requirement for officers,
local and expatriate. This partly explained why the translators, with their
officially recognised Chinese skills, were classed as Chinese Language
Officers.

We provided translation and Chinese secretarial support to the expatriate
and local officers alike in dealing with the public, while, internally,
official business was conducted in English. The expatriate officers had the
advantage of English, but the local officers were bilingual, and capable of
direct communications with the public they served.

If the usefulness of bilingualism was downplayed by the colonial
government, it is embraced with a vengeance by the SAR government.

All government officers must now have native Chinese competency as well as
a good command of English. Written communications with the public are
entirely in Chinese, unless the citizen prefers English. Policy papers and
public speeches that are primarily intended for a local audience are
originally drafted in Chinese, with greater care and flair, with an English
translation that may carry less weight.

All is as it should be. But if we seriously believe, rightly or wrongly,
that the official use of English is somehow the price for being an
international city, it is not difficult to see, too, that English is now
our greater postcolonial challenge.

How viable is English as a working language among its non-native speakers
who already have a shared mother tongue that they can use more effectively
and are expected, quite rightly, to use more extensively? The new bilingual
policy spells the most radical localisation, which ironically bars even our
local ethnic minorities, let alone the white expatriates who used to be the
international face of Hong Kong. To serve in the SAR government is to be
Chinese, or at least Chinese-literate.

Is it not time for us to rethink the whole idea of a bilingual civil
service and our bilingual heritage? Bilingualism is rarely the complete and
equal mastery of two languages. The point of being bilingual is so we can
use our second language advantageously, i.e., to broaden our experience by
dealing with people who don't speak our mother tongue. Bilinguals should be
ready and happy to work with speakers of other languages, including, of
course, the monolinguals.

The greater use of Chinese in government communications to achieve greater
clarity and cost efficiency is entirely reasonable. The continued use of
English in our civil service must be justified by the continued advantage
of international experience that may be gained by, for example, opening a
controlled percentage of its positions, which are not politically
sensitive, to a wider pool of talent. For, otherwise, the English
requirement serves no useful purpose but to deter those among us who may
equally qualify, but have inadequate English.

The SAR government can suitably relax its bilingual requirement so we can
recruit the best talent, despite their not already acceptable Chinese or
English. I need scarcely add that we already have able government
translators who can support a more linguistically diverse civil service.

*Richard Sheung was a translator with the Hong Kong government before the
handover. He teaches in the Department of Linguistics and Translation at
City University of Hong Kong*

http://www.scmp.com/comment/article/1571376/relax-civil-service-language-policy-attract-best-talent