[lg policy] UK: Gwynedd councillor resigns from housing board in Welsh language row

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 16:19:32 UTC 2014

 Gwynedd councillor resigns from housing board in Welsh language row

 *Published date: 16 December 2014 | *
* Published by: Mike Williams *
 Read more articles by Mike Williams  Email reporter
<mike.williams at nwn.co.uk>

  *A GWYNEDD councillor has resigned from a housing association management
board in a row over the Welsh language.*

Plaid Cymru Felinheli councillor Sian Gwenllian stepped down from her role
with Bangor-based Cartrefi Cymunedol Gwynedd (CCG) on Monday after the
association advertised two senior posts without making the Welsh language
an essential requirement for applicants.

CCG bosses insisted the decision was “not easy” but argued it was the best
way to recruit the “right people” for the jobs.

Cllr Gwenllian said: “I argued and voted against this decision but when the
board voted to support this move, I felt that I had no choice but to resign
from the board as a matter of principle.

“I think that this decision cannot be seen as an exception given the high
status of the jobs involved and I would question the legality of this major
breach of the organisation’s Welsh Language policy.

“I understand that the matter is being investigated by the Welsh Language
Commissioner.”

Cllr Gwenllian outlined her four main objections in a detailed letter.

She argued appointing non Welsh-speakers in the top jobs will have “ripple
effects” throughout the organisation making English the preferred
day-to-day language, that another way must be found to attract top talent
without compromising the language and that the vast majority of CCG staff
speak Welsh.

The housing association, which inherited 6,300 Gwynedd Council houses in
2010, is recruiting for three top jobs, only one of which has Welsh
recorded as an essential requirement.

Ffrancon Williams, chief executive of Cartrefi Cymunedol Gwynedd, said:
“This was not an easy decision but it was one we felt we had to take in
order to increase our chances of recruiting the right people.

“The ideal situation would of course be that we appoint bilingual
individuals to these two important posts.

“Getting the right people for these jobs is key to the future of CCG as we
develop our new corporate plan which will take the business forward over
the next five years.

“In the past we have had difficulties in recruiting to senior posts, the
Welsh language requirement and geography seemed to be a contributing
factor.”
http://www.newsnorthwales.co.uk/news/142008/gwynedd-councillor-resigns-from-housing-board-in-welsh-language-row.aspx