[lg policy] UK: Gwynedd housing group to carry on recruiting despite Welsh language row

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 15:45:05 UTC 2014

 Gwynedd housing group to carry on recruiting despite Welsh language row

   -  Dec 25, 2014 07:00 <http://www.dailypost.co.uk/by-date/25-12-2014>
   - By Hywel Trewyn <http://www.dailypost.co.uk/authors/hywel-trewyn/>

 CCG maintains that being able to speak Welsh is not essential, despite
calls to halt the recruitment process by the Welsh Language Commissioner
   [image: Welsh Language Commissioner, Meri Huws]
Welsh Language Commissioner, Meri Huws

A housing group will carry on recruiting two top jobs – despite pleas for
it to halt the process.

Welsh Language Commissioner Meri Huws had urged Cartrefi Cymunedol Gwynedd
(CCG), Bangor, landlord for 6,300 former council homes, to delay
advertising two top jobs after it changed its policy
<http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/gwynedd-housing-group-urged-halt-8333563>
and deemed that the ability to speak Welsh wasn’t essential.

Ms Huws wanted CCG to delay the process while she carried out an
investigation into the validity of the decision taken in September –
meaning it had broken its own language policy. Board member Cllr Sian
Gwenllian resigned in protest
<http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/cllr-sian-gwenllian-quits-housing-8291597>.

The decision created a storm of criticism and was denounced by politicians
including Arfon AM Alun Ffred Jones
<http://www.dailypost.co.uk/all-about/alun-ffred-jones>.

The board, and its boss Ffrancon Williams, said it decided to ditch Welsh
as a language requirement for two out of three top jobs to “maximise” its
changes of getting more candidates to apply for the £82,000 posts.

Ms Huws had given CCG a January 5 deadline to supply evidence about how it
came to its decision. The jobs closing date is January 9.

Defiant CCG chief Ffrancon Williams, said they had responded to the
Commissioner’s letter and confirmed they would “not be delaying the process
of recruiting” the new directors.

He said: “Since the decision was taken regarding the Welsh language
requirement for two of these posts back in September we have done all we
can to be open and to inform relevant bodies and individuals.

“I met with officers from the Commissioner’s office in November to inform
them of the decision and to discuss the matter with them. I also met with
local AMs and MPs to explain our position, as well as the difficulties we
have experienced in the past when recruiting to senior posts.

“With a housing stock of 6,300 we have a huge responsibility to our
customers to provide quality services and maintain their homes.

“These three jobs are crucial to our ability to provide those services, and
to the future of CCG. It is possible that delaying the recruitment process
could be damaging to the business.

“We will of course continue to work as closely as possible with the
Commissioner and if non-Welsh speakers are appointed to these two posts we
will do all we can to support them to learn the language.

“With over 95% of our staff and a high percentage of our customers Welsh
speakers we will continue to lead the way in terms of providing a fully
bilingual service.”

A Commisioner’s spokeswoman said she could not comment as they had not
received Mr Williams’ letter.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/gwynedd-housing-group-carry-recruiting-8344831