[lg policy] interesting language maps of the Caucasus

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at GMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 5 16:57:15 UTC 2014

The New York Times has a long article about the turmoil
in the Caucasus region, along with some interesting maps
of the region.  I won't forward the article--it's too long, and the
images will probably be rejected by the server, but if you go to
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/05/world/europe/an-olympics-in-the-shadow-of-a-war-zone.html?hp&_r=0

you can see the maps and download them directly.

I spent a month in the Kabardino-Balkarian ASSR in the summer of
1963, followed by a short sojourn in Georgia, so when I returned home
I declared my intention to do my dissertation on one of the languages
of the area, perhaps Kabardian.  My advisors dissuaded me, since I
probably wouldn't have gotten permission to work in the area.  But
the interest is still there...

HS

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com