[lg policy] We Do Language

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 20 21:55:24 UTC 2014

We Do Language is now available & symposium on language and education at
the Philadelphia AERA meeting on Sunday, April 6th from 10:35-12:05pm
Inbox
Charity Hudley, Anne H
11:25 AM (5 hours ago)

to Anne

Dear educators, mentors, and friends from my time at UPenn,

I will be leading a symposium at the American Educational Research
Association (AERA)<http://www.aera.net/admin/2014annualmeetingtheme/tabid/14871/default.aspx>
conference
in Philadelphia, PA on Sunday, April 6, from 10:35am to 12:05pm, entitled
Labovian Legacies: Symposium on Linguistics and Education in the
Philadelphia Convention Center, 200 Level, 204C. John Rickford, John Baugh,
Christine Mallinson, and Jeff Reaser will also be participating. I'd love
to see some of you there and please spread the word to any students who may
be interested in attending.

Also, I'm happy to announce that the book that I have co-authored with
Christine Mallinson of the University of Maryland Baltimore County, *We Do
Language: English Language Variation in the Secondary English Classroom, *is
in print. The book is available on Kindle and in paperback on Amazon.com
http://amzn.to/1ejWpmQ, Barnes & Noble http://bit.ly/1ax88hr, and through
Teachers College Press http://bit.ly/17tKEZg.

 *We Do Language*, a follow-up text to our first book, examines the need to
integrate linguistically informed teaching into the secondary English
classroom. The book meets three critical goals for preparing English
educators to ensure the academic success of their students. First, the book
helps educators acquire a greater knowledge of language variation so they
may teach their students to analyze the social, cultural, and linguistic
dimensions of the texts they read in class. Second, the chapters provide
specific information about language varieties that students bring with them
to school so that educators can better assist students in developing the
literacy skills necessary for the Common Core State Standards. Third, the
text empowers educators to build their linguistic awareness so they may
more fully understand, respect, and meet the needs of culturally and
linguistically diverse students. Our book features concrete strategies,
models, and vignettes, as well as classroom materials developed by English
educators for English educators. With a foreword by Jacqueline Jones
Royster and endorsements by Shirley Brice Heath and Donna Ford, we are
especially happy to have so many excellent educators and linguists support
our efforts.

  Drafts of our book have successfully been used in graduate and
undergraduate classes as diverse as: African American English, American
English, Dialectology, Assessment and Evaluation of Reading and Language
Development, Counselor Education for Diverse Populations, Language
Attitudes, Language in Diverse Schools and Communities, Language in
Society, and Language Variation and Education. If you need advance
information about the book for course planning/preparation, please let me
know. Examination copies are also able to be requested online:
http://www.teacherscollegepress.com/form1.html

Please forward this information to anyone you know who may be interested.
We also have a book website http://charityhudleymallinson.com/wdl and a
book Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/WeDoLanguage, so we hope to see
you online as well.

Thanks to all who have supported us and helped me from my graduate school
days until now as you have all in one way or another helped me to get this
book to press.

                    Sincerely,

Anne
            Anne H. Charity Hudley, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Education, English, Linguistics, and Africana Studies
Associate Editor, *Language*
William and Mary Professor of Community Studies
Director, William & Mary Scholars Program
Co-Director, William & Mary Scholars Undergraduate Research Experience
(WMSURE)
The College of William and Mary
Williamsburg, Virginia
(804) 304-3493 cell phone
(757) 221-3009 English office, Blow 236
(757) 221-6086 Education office, School of Education 3050
http://annecharityhudley.com
http://www.facebook.com/Dr.AnneH.CharityHudley
http://twitter.com/ACharityHudley
http://www.youtube.com/valuablevoices

 The books *Understanding English Language Variation in U.S. Schools* & *We
Do Language: English Language Variation in the Secondary English Classroom* by
Anne H. Charity Hudley and Christine Mallinson are available from Teachers
College Press at: http://store.tcpress.com/0807751480.shtml and
http://store.tcpress.com/0807754986.shtml. They are also available on
Amazon.com at:
http://www.amazon.com/Anne-H.-Charity-Hudley/e/B00428EFMA/fblink/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_nu_tEIbtb10T0GJH<http://amzn.to/9CQpX2>