[lg policy] Map of Ukraine showing distribution of Ukrainian speakers and Russian speakers

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 21 20:56:59 UTC 2014

This map accompanied an article in yesterday's NYTimes, and shows the
distribution of speakers of Ukrainian and speakers of Russian in Ukraine,
as well
as support for different factions in the current dispute.  If I remember
correctly,
the predominantly Russian-speaking areas were ceded to Ukraine by Nikita
Krushchev when he was Prime Minister.  I have never fully understood why he
would do this, or whether he had sympathies for Ukraine that were expressed
in this manner.  Does anyone on this list have any knowledge of how this
happened?

HS

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com