[lg policy] Ukraine: Lvov intellectuals ask Ukrainian Supreme Council to protect Russian language

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 26 16:21:01 UTC 2014

 Lvov intellectuals ask Ukrainian Supreme Council to protect Russian
language
 [image: Lvov intellectuals ask Ukrainian Supreme Council to protect
Russian language]

Photo: SXC.hu

Lvov intellectuals have asked the Supreme Council of Ukraine and the acting
President to pursue a balanced language policy and not to "impose Western
lifestyle on Donetsk and Crimea residents," the statement in defense of the
Russian language says.

"For decades, the east and south of Ukraine have been facing cultural
colonization and de-Ukrainization, ordinary citizens becoming hostages of
circumstance. We are against persecution of people because of their
residence or language of communication, because only the enemies of Ukraine
can benefit from this," the document says.

"We demand that the Verkhovna Rada, the newly appointed members of the
government and the acting President to pursue a balanced cultural and
language policies. Thousands of residents of eastern and southern Ukraine
are confused and do not understand what is happening, because all they hear
is the Moscow propaganda. We have a chance to build a new, honest, fair
Ukraine, while keeping its territorial integrity. But we should not impose
Western lifestyle on Donetsk or Crimea residents. Ukrainians, Russians,
Poles, Armenians, Belarusians, Jews, Georgians, Tatars stood alike during
the days of the Maidan movement," Lvov public figures reminded.

"We must honor the cultural traditions and language needs of the east and
south, so that they do not feel like strangers in Ukraine. Ukraine should
show the world a whole new quality, the quality of being able to embrace
all its citizens regardless of their nationality. And we urge you to put an
end to the political speculations of those who try to destroy the
territorial integrity of our country," the statement says.

The document was signed by Yuri Shukhevych (son of the Ukrainian rebel
army's CNC Roman Shukhevych), Igor Kalynets, Miroslav Marinovich, Ivan
Vakarchuk, Roman Ivanychuk, Taras Vozniak, Antin Borkowski, Zvenislava
Kalynets, Nitalya Ivanchuk. Lvov publishing house has also supported the
Russian-speaking population and said that the next book will be released in
Russian, for the first time ever.

At this moment Donetsk, Kharkov and Crimea are facing a difficult situation
due to the recent change of power in the country. Rumors about
federalization of the eastern Ukraine and Crimea are actively spread, up to
the point where Crimean is expected to annex to Russia. Ukrainian
intellectuals call upon citizens and politicians alike not to succumb to
provocations and to disregard the allegations of harassment.

Voice of Russia, society.lb.ua
http://voiceofrussia.com/news/2014_02_25/Lvov-intellectuals-ask-Ukrainian-Supreme-Council-to-protect-Russian-language-1421/