[lg policy] Re: The prehistory of language policy

Dave Sayers dave.sayers at CANTAB.NET
Wed Feb 26 19:47:17 UTC 2014

“But after a speach is fully fashioned to the common vnderstanding, & accepted by
consent of a whole countrey & natiō, it is called a language. … the Greekes terme it
Idioma: so is ours at this day the Norman English”
“This part in our maker or Poet must be needyly looked vnto, that it be naturall,
pure, and the most vsuall of all his countrey: and for the same purpose rather that
which is spoken in the kings Court, or in the good townes and Cities within the land,
then in the marches and frontiers, or in port townes, where straungers haunt for
traffike sake, or yet in Vniuersities where Schollers vse much peeuish affectation of
words out of the primatiue languages, or finally, in any vplandish village or corner
of a Realme, where is no resort but of poore rusticall or vnciuill people: neither
shall he follow the speach of a craftes man or carter, or other of the inferiour sort
… for such persons doe abuse good speaches by strange accents or ill shapen soundes,
and false ortographie. But he shall follow generally the better brought vp sort, such
as the Greekes call [charientes] men ciuill and graciously behauoured and bred.”
(George Puttenham, 1589)

https://openlibrary.org/books/ia:arteofenglishpoe00putt/The_arte_of_English_poesie
(page 156)

Dave

--
Dr. Dave Sayers
Senior Lecturer, Dept Humanities, Sheffield Hallam University, UK