[lg policy] Quebec language police target Chelsea store owner's Facebook page

Dave Sayers dave.sayers at CANTAB.NET
Thu Feb 27 20:30:26 UTC 2014

"Social Media is now on the radar of the Quebec language police.

Eva Cooper owns Delilah in the Parc - a shop in Chelsea. She received a letter from
the language office telling her to translate everything posted on her store's
Facebook page into French.

Cooper tells CTV Ottawa she's shocked and says social media is a grey zone with language.

"I'm not interested in posting a French posting and then to have the identical one in
English. So, I may end up mixing English and French together," said Cooper."

More here: http://goo.gl/B19iWU.

Dave

--
Dr. Dave Sayers
Senior Lecturer, Dept Humanities, Sheffield Hallam University, UK