[lg policy] English at a cost

Ayaz Ahmed ayazmardan at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 17 05:37:30 UTC 2014

A COUPLE of years ago, the PML-N suddenly announced that the Punjab
government was switching to English as the medium of instruction in all
public schools.

The switch was made, though the ground realities were incongruous. But a
couple of months back, we heard that the government was having second
thoughts and had stopped printing textbooks pending a decision on the
language issue. We will know the decision soon enough as the new academic
year is not too far off. The Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf’s (PTI) manifesto
promises that English would be taught as a language from the start but Urdu
or the home language/mother tongue of an area would be retained as the
medium of instruction...........

Read more at http://www.dawn.com/news/1080892/english-at-a-cost

--
Ayaz Ahmad