[lg policy] Fwd: [LINGANTH] CFP for AAA 2014 session on Medical Interpreting

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 20 14:19:08 UTC 2014

Forward From:\LINGANTH at listserv.linguistlist.org

Dear Linguistic Anthropology and Medical Anthropology list members:

We are inviting papers for a panel at the 113th annual AAA meetings in
Washington DC, December 3-7 2014.  We are reaching out to member of the
Linguistic and Medical Anthropology community.  We are particularly
interested in papers addressing issues surrounding interlinguistic medical
interpreting in the live medical encounter, but welcome related submissions
as well.  We had a well attended session last year, and hope to build on
our core themes, including attention to cultural factors, power dynamics in
institutional relationships, inter-subjectivity, and the co-construction of
meaning in interpreted clinical encounters.

Our abbreviated preliminary session abstract is noted below.

Thanks for your interest!

Michael Nathan, MD              mnathan1 at partners.org

Lissie Wahl-Kleiser, PhD        Elizabeth_Wahl at hms.harvard.edu

Seth Hannah, PhD                  seth_hannah at HMS.HARVARD.EDU

Harvard University and Harvard Medical School.

========================
Producing Intercultural Discourse in the Clinical Encounter

Clinical encounters between providers and patients or clients involve a
wealth of meaning, communication practices, understandings and
misunderstandings.  Intercultural encounters in these settings add multiple
layers of complexity, with increased potential for miscommunication and
interpretation by both provider and patient.  Contemporary practice between
linguistically discordant practitioners and patients conventionally
requires bilingual third party presence in the encounter by phone, video,
or in person.  These engagements may be required by law or institutional
policy.
            In spite of the promotion, regulation, training, and
certification engaged in these processes, the encounters themselves remain
understudied an under-problematized.  There is a lack of anthropologic
critique of interpreter issues in their social, political, and ethical
domains.
            This panel will present papers looking critically at the
production of such encounters, both at the institutional and personal
encounter levels.

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com