[lg policy] In Philadelphia they call it Wooder

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 24 20:40:37 UTC 2014

In Philadelphia they call it Wooder

3.24.2014

    Static-bluray
    ·
    8 hours ago

    Clark DeLeon reports getting flooded with comments after his Sunday
article asked what was happening to the hardcore and hard-to-imitate
Philadelphia accent. The headline on Philly.com's home page - "Are hipsters
killing the Philly accent?" - prompted a hatefest for the skinny jeans
denizens of Fishtown and Northern Liberties. But Clarkie reports getting a
lot of love from readers as well.

    One fan sent along a clip from The Who's 1970 performance at the Isle
of Wight, which Clark wagers is the first time rock-and-roll royalty
trotted out the Fluffya accent (and got it somewhat roight.) The lads, he
notes, had first come to Philadelphia to play the old Electric Factory on
Arch Street in 1967 and encountered the local patois.
    The Who - Water - Isle of Wight 1970
    rockhippie1969
    ·
    2 years ago
    Clark keeps a tuned ear to the sounds of Philadelphia, but I have to
quibble when he takes his expertise on the road - particularly as he writes
about the Boston brogue. I just came back from five days up there - family
business - and when I read this section, naturally I read it aloud to
myself.

    Boston still has a neighborhood accent that's easy to mimic and
recognize. For instance, say PSDS out loud, speaking the individual letters
real fast. (In Boston you would need these before you could try on a pair
of pierced earrings.) Say it again, PSDS.

    That would be PSD-ahs, brotha.

http://data.inquirer.com/thetalk

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com