[lg policy] Fwd: How about Globish ?

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 27 13:50:33 UTC 2014

Forwarded From:  VYAKARAN at listserv.syr.edu

VYAKARAN: South Asian Languages and Linguistics Net Editors: Tej K. Bhatia,
Syracuse University, New York John Peterson, University of Osnabrueck,
Germany Details: Send email to listserv at listserv.syr.edu and say: INFO
VYAKARAN Subscribe:Send email to listserv at listserv.syr.edu and say:
SUBSCRIBE VYAKARAN FIRST_NAME LAST_NAME (Substitute your real name for
first_name last_name) Archives: http://listserv.syr.edu
*How about Globish ?     (You may circulate, comment) Thanks. 26 March 2014*

*I understand that English is a compulsory second language in most*
*countries in Europe.  Note below is about situation in France, source*
*is mentioned. It looks pretty difficult to rectify current illogical*
*spellings in English. Huge investment has been made by even the*
*non-English **countries, to study English, so they may oppose any *
*spelling reforms. **Reform may take place, only as a popular movement,*
*if no further **investment is required to alter all kinds of machines, *
*many of them are **without diacritical marks. People do not want perfect*
*but heavy script**, they want something easy to adopt, like 1 ft = 30 cm*
*(not 30.48 cm at scientific level). Till Unicode arrived, many people*
*in India used Roman script for emails in their languages. So depend*
*on public enthusiasm,  their convenience, to develop a parallel*
*English (which may be called Globish).  Let (Brick, Bridge, Health, Right)*
*continue in English, they will be (brik, brij, helth, raait) in Globish.*
*Refer E01 and **note (e) on index page of (http://www.mngogate.com/
<http://www.mngogate.com/>) -- MNG*
*Note.*
*Growing domination of English language in France        *(Source  BBC 8
Feb 2007 )
A group of trades unions and language lobbyists say the French language is
being reduced to a local dialect. One campaigner has dubbed the battle to
preserve the supremacy of the French language as a fight against
"linguistic hegemony" of English.
"We can no longer tolerate this," said Albert Salon, president of the
French-speaking campaigning group, Forum Francophone International. "We are
not against influences of one language by another, or the occasional
borrowing of words, but now there is a wholesale substitution of the French
language for English."
*English e-mails*
He said in many companies it had become standard practice for native French
speakers to use English even among themselves and French scientists were
forced to publish their research, in English, in leading US journals. "We
have nothing against the Brits or the Americans," Mr Salon said. "But we
simply cannot accept that our language is reduced to a local dialect - we
are protesting against this linguistic hegemony!".
A recent survey showed that seven percent of French firms used English as
their main language and multinational companies often sent e-mails in
English to their French employees. But Pierre Kosciusko-Morizet, CEO and
founder of French site Priceminister.com, accepts that having English as a
global business language enables him to converse with foreign colleagues in
a common tongue. "Some things are facts and you can't fight against them,"
Mr Kosciusko-Morizet said. "We can promote French but I don't see very
efficient ways of fighting English. English didn't become the global
language of business by fighting other languages," he added.

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com