[lg policy] Rescue the Mongolian language

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Sun May 25 20:41:47 UTC 2014

N.Battsereg: Rescue the Mongolian language

By D.SERGELEN

* R**eputable Members of Parliament have initiated a bill on the Mongolian
language and submitted it to the Speaker of the Parliament. We interviewed
one of the bill’s initiator, Member of Parliament N.Battsereg.*

*Linguists are appreciative of the initiation of this bill at a time when
globalization has a strong influence on the world. There are many issues
coming up surrounding the Mongolian language. Do you think that this law
can manage all of them?  Is not having a law on language the reason why the
Mongolian language is being influenced by foreign languages?*

Globalization is growing across a broad range. As the result of the
limitless development of information technology and the establishment of
cultural diffusion, our native language, traditions, and culture risks
being blurred and diluted. The world’s nations pay significant attention to
protecting their languages, cultures and traditions, but for Mongolia, we
have overbalanced our state policy on language and culture in the last part
of the 20th century. For instance, teaching Mongolian at all educational
stages has weakened and streets and building addresses are written in
foreign languages. Furthermore, some private schools don’t teach Mongolian.
Besides that, even though we have the Board of the State Language, their
role is to manage only terminology. So, we have submitted a bill on
Mongolian language.

*You said some schools don’t teach Mongolian. If the bill is passed, will
there be new requirements which cover all schools? *

Yes. There will be standards for all schools, despite their private or
public status. Otherwise, children and youth will have poor Mongolian
proficiency and it is possible they won’t understand the Mongolian
lifestyle and national phrases.  So, we need very good and comprehensive
management on orthography.

*Could you clarify what this management would be?*

The National Board of Language Policy will be responsible for managing over
20 dictionaries and different kinds of grammar books that lead to confusion.

*That means that instead of the Board of the State Language, there will be
a National Board of Language Policy?*

It will be established under the President and its role has already been
reflected in the bill.

*How many members will be on the National Board of Language Policy? *

There will be nine people from different fields such as: Mongolian language
and literature, press, media, science, and education. The president will
appoint the members once every six years.

*We are using foreign words such as “Facebook” and “Twitter” due to
development. Will the new board manage this?*

The board will release grammar texts, dictionaries and translations of
foreign terminology. Dictionaries from this board will only be used
officially.

*How do foreign countries protect their native languages? *

When I study other countries experiences, they all have language boards.
Some countries have boards that have been active for 200-300 years. Also,
France is still improving their language law which was passed in the
mid-1700s. They passed it to protect their language during the time of
England’s colonization. Now it is really strong.

About Mongolia, honestly we are an independent country, we are not a
federation.  We have saved our culture, language and history for a long
time. Our current goal must be to pass down, protect, and improve them for
our future generations. In any country, the language, culture and land are
inseparable things.

These three things are the keys to a nation’s existence.

*Short URL*: http://ubpost.mongolnews.mn/?p=9323