[lg policy] Re: Accounts of the history of sociolinguistics

Dave Sayers dave.sayers at cantab.net
Thu Aug 6 12:11:28 UTC 2015

Ok I think the responses to this have now stopped. Long story short: there doesn't
seem to be quite the book I was after, namely a general history of sociolinguistics.
Nevertheless, there are lots of interesting books, chapters and articles I didn't
know about...

Calvet, Louis-Jean. 1993. La Sociolinguistique. Collection “Que Sais-Je?”. Paris:
Presses Universitaires de France.

Cameron, R, and R. Bayley. 2015.. General Introduction: A brief history of the study
of  language variation and change in Vol. 1: Foundations and Methods. Language
Variation and Change: Critical Concepts in Linguistics. London: Routledge.  1- 12.

Carter, Phillip M. 2013. Poststructuralist Theory and Sociolinguistics: Mapping the
Linguistic Turn in Social Theory. Language and Linguistics Compass 7(11): 580-596.

Erickson, Frederick. 2004. Origins: A brief intellectual and technological history of
the emergence of Multimodal Discourse Analysis. In LeVine, Philip & Ron Scollon
(eds.), Discourse and technology: Multimodal Discourse Analysis. Washington:
Georgetown University Press. 196-207.

Koerner, E.F.K. 2002.  Toward a History of American Linguistics. London: Routledge.
[esp chapter 10, 'William Labov and the Origins of Sociolinguistics in America']

Labov, William. (no date) How I got into linguistics, and what I got out of it.
http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~wlabov/HowIgot.html

Labov, William. 2009. A Life of Learning: Six People I Have Learned From (Charles
Homer Haskins Prize Lecture).
https://www.acls.org/publications/audio/labov/default.aspx?id=4462

Murray, Stephen O. 1998. American sociolinguistics: Theorists and theory groups. John
Benjamins.

Murray, Stephen O. 1994. Theory groups and the study of language in North America: a
social history. Vol. 69. John Benjamins.

Parret, Herman. 1974. Discussing Language. The Hague, Mouton. [includes interviews
with e.g. Wallace Chafe, Michael Halliday, and George Lakoff]

Paulston, C. B. & G.R. Tucker (eds.). 2003. Sociolinguistics: The Essential Readings.
Oxford: Blackwell.

(I didn't include all the sources in my original email in this list, as I hadn't
written them out as full references and this email is taking long enough!)

Thanks to Richard Cameron, Damien Hall, Kanjana Thepboriruk, Daniel Ezra Johnson,
Paul Lewis, Daniel Ginsberg, and Gerard Van Herk for getting in touch with all these.
Much appreciated.

So, as I said above, from all the above it doesn't seem like anything out there
really fits the bill overall. But one idea that came from Daniel Ginsberg was that if
you're setting out to teach the history of slx, then perhaps it would be best to set
all these readings (the ones above and the ones in my original email) and let
students piece it together. That could be a very instructive task in itself, and they
could compare how certain events were narrated differently by different authors.

Anyway, the way is clear for anyone who wants to write (or perhaps better, edit) a
general history of sociolinguistics. If you would like to use this email as evidence
of a gap in the market for your book proposal, then you are most welcome :)

Dave

--
Dr. Dave Sayers
Senior Lecturer, Dept Humanities, Sheffield Hallam University