[lg policy] South Africa: Agriculture students demand to be taught in English 2015-08-13 21:14

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 15:15:08 UTC 2015

Agriculture students demand to be taught in English2015-08-13 21:14

Thomas Hartleb, News24
<http://www.news24.com/sendToFriend.aspx?ifame&aid=aa9e7b4e-acd4-48dc-9408-191970d923d8&cid=1059>
[image: (Shutterstock)]

(Shutterstock)

Multimedia <http://www.news24.com/Multimedia>   ·   User Galleries
<http://www.news24.com/Multimedia/MyNews24>   ·   News in Pictures
<http://www.news24.com/Multimedia/Category-Images>Send us your pictures
<http://uploads.news24.com/?iframe>  ·  Send us your stories
<http://www.news24.com/FeedBack.aspx?iframe>
Related Links

   - TUT closed as students protest over funding
   <http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/TUT-closed-as-students-protest-over-funding-20150204>
   - Cops keep watch after KZN varsity protest
   <http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Cops-keep-watch-after-KZN-varsity-protest-20130314>
   - Student injured in Durban protest
   <http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Student-injured-in-Durban-protest-20130314>

Johannesburg - Students interrupted classes at the Elsenburg Agricultural
College, near Stellenbosch, on Thursday, in protest against its language
policy.

“We want English only,” Student Representative Council (SRC) chairperson
Sabelo Ngcobo said.

He said the college was giving priority to Afrikaans, in which case it
should implement the Western Cape government’s language policy and teach in
English, Afrikaans, and Xhosa. The college fell under the Western Cape
agriculture department.

According to Ngcobo, about 80% of the students were white and Afrikaans
speaking.

It currently had a dual English/Afrikaans language policy, but Ngcobo said
Afrikaans was getting priority.

"Their Afrikaans privilege is blocking us. We are made to feel that we are
beggars at Elsenburg."

AfriForum Youth said it was concerned that the college failed to act
against the illegal protest. It would turn to the courts should the
institution fail to act by Monday, its national chairperson, Henk Maree,
said in a statement.

Ngcobo said there would be no teaching on Friday.

Students met Western Cape Agriculture MEC Alan Winde
<http://whoswho.co.za/alan-winde-56080> on Thursday. It was decided that
the CCMA would on Monday start mediation efforts between the parties
involved.

"While this process is unfolding, we want... full access, we want English,"
Ngcobo said.

Another student, Simphiwe Ntuza, said: "We just want English as the medium
of instruction. If they want Afrikaans, they must put Xhosa also."

Afriforum Youth wanted the college to take disciplinary action against the
protesters, and to expel Ngcobo and other SRC members involved in the
disruption.

"We cannot stand by and watch while a small group of radicals determines
the college’s agenda," Maree said.

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Agriculture-students-demand-to-be-taught-in-English-20150813