[lg policy] India, Germany close to resolving German language row

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 17:52:38 UTC 2015

India, Germany close to resolving German language row
By PTI | 26 Aug, 2015, 07.58PM IST
Post a Comment
<http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/india-germany-close-to-resolving-german-language-row/articleshow/48685359.cms#write>
*READ MORE ON » *Sushma Swaraj
<http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/topic/Sushma-Swaraj> | India
<http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/topic/India> | Germany
<http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/topic/Germany> | Angela Merkel
<http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/topic/Angela-Merkel>
[image: India and Germany are close to resolving the sticky German language
issue, a row that had injected a bit of sourness in bilateral ties last
year.]India and Germany are close to resolving the sticky German language
issue, a row that had injected a bit of sourness in bilateral ties last
year.
*ET SPECIAL:*Love visual aspect of news? Enjoy this exclusive slideshows
treat! <http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/slideshows.cms>
BERLIN: India <http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/topic/India> and Germany
<http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/topic/Germany> are close to resolving
the sticky German language issue, a row that had injected a bit of sourness
in bilateral ties last year.

An announcement on the resolution of the issue is likely to be made during
Chancellor Angela Merkel's visit to India in October.

The issue figured prominently during External Affairs Minister Sushma
Swaraj's meeting here today with her German counterpart Frank-Walter
Steinmeir and both sides discussed contours of a resolution.

As per the broad understanding between the two sides, India will continue
to teach German as an additional language while Germany will promote Indian
languages including Sanskrit in their educational institutions.

"We are almost close to resolution of the issue. Both sides hope to make
the announcement during Chancellor Angela Merkel's upcoming visit to
India," official sources told PTI.

They said both sides were happy that the issue is being resolved.

"Basically what we have said all along is that we will continue to teach
German as an additional language in keeping with our three language policy.
So we will continue to do that. In Germany, they will promote Indian
languages including Sanskrit," said the sources.

The Human Resource Development ministry had in November decided to
discontinue teaching of German as an alternative to Sanskrit and cited
"national interests" for its decision.

Germany had criticised the decision and the issue was also raised by Merkel
during her meeting with Modi on the sidelines of the G-20 summit in
Brisbane in November last year. Modi had assured her at that time that his
government will look into the matter and try to work out an amicable
solution.

Sanskrit was introduced as a third language in Kendriya Vidyalaya Schools
on the basis of a memorandum of understanding signed between the KVS and
the Goethe Institute in 2011.

During Prime Minister Narendra Modi's visit here in April, both sides had
agreed to encourage the teaching of each other's languages within the
framework of their national policies.

Merkel will visit India in the first half of October for the
inter-governmental consultation. She will be accompanied by a high-level
delegation comprising a number of ministers, government officials and top
executives of a number of leading German companies.