[lg policy] African countries using African languages in education?

Annette Islei annetteislei at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 20:53:38 UTC 2015

Hello - I agree there are major problems in context that people who
advocate MT education are rather glib about. Until those of us interested
in the idea that children can learn to read more easily in a Bantu
language, and can learn well in those early years (although intonation is
an issue for some orthographies) really make an effort to broadcast this
and persuade people in the local languages, there is something of a dead
end.

The Malawi case is shocking. The SIG tried to add their protest through a
petition. Eddie Williams, who compared reading levels in Malawi and Zambia
in the 90s, is one of our members. Perhaps it would help if they were more
aware of how far they are going against moves in other countries.

Interestingly, although it is the P4 teachers who bear the brunt of the
transition to English as LoI in Uganda, and have suffered, I met one
recently who said that she would not want the policy to change as when they
reach her class they have really been learning and know things. Of course,
it is very cheering to hear what one wants to hear. But in this case I
don't think she had any reason to think she was pleasing me by saying so.
And I reacted with surprise at how positive she was.

But until local languages are a valid qualification (apparently they were
at P7 back in the 50s), it is going to be very hard to convince people that
they have any value beyond a sense of being part of their culture. I think
one problem is that people believe they can maintain their own languages
through use in the home. As a higher ratio of children go through primary
with all emphasis on English, I predict that a) (due to drop-out, etc)
there will be more 'less competent English' - a result the people of Uganda
fear a great deal - that their English is no longer 'correct', and b) in a
couple of generations homes will be using more English than their own
language.

Web Results
Rosemary *Wildsmith*-*Cromarty* - Home - University of KwaZulu-Natal
<http://lll.ukzn.ac.za/Linguistics/Staff/RosemaryWildsmith-Cromarty.aspx>
http://lll.ukzn.ac.za/Linguistics/Staff/RosemaryWildsmith-Cromarty.aspx

Rosemary now has a new post, and is always doing a lot of things at once,
but she really has been at the heart of the bilingual efforts at
KwaZulu-Natal. So if you ask her simply to put you on the track of some
material, mention my name, she might be able to give you some quick
pointers.

All the best

Annette

Secretary of Language in Africa SIG, British Association for Applied
Linguistics (BAAL)

Founding Member / Advisor, Centre for Action and Applied Research for
Development (CAARD) (U) Ltd., Fort-Portal, Kabarole District, Uganda.
www.caard.co.ug