[lg policy] UK: Eagle-eye protest over council's language panel

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 14:39:06 UTC 2015

Eagle-eye protest over council's language panel

Cymdeithas yr Iaith held a protest outside County Hall, Carmarthen, on
Wednesday to highlight dissatisfaction over the authority's language policy
panel meeting behind closed doors

Cymdeithas yr Iaith held a protest outside County Hall, Carmarthen, on
Wednesday to highlight dissatisfaction over the authority's language policy
panel meeting behind closed doors

First published Thursday 26 February 2015 in Ammanford news by Steve Adams

Carmarthenshire County Council has come under fire for stopping the public
attending meetings of a panel set up to strengthen use of the Welsh
language in the county.

Cymdeithas yr Iaith, the Welsh language society, picketed County Hall on
Wednesday to highlight dissatisfaction over the decision to hold the
meetings behind closed doors.

Following the release of the 2011 Census results, councillors passed a new
language policy recommending the council worked internally in Welsh and
ensured all schools teach at least partly in Welsh.

Following the launch of the policy and the creation of an Advisory Panel on
the use of Welsh, the society announced it had appointed more than 50
barcudiaid - eagle eyes - to monitor implementation.

However, the decision to allow the panel to exclude the public from its
meetings has infuriated society members.

Amy Jones, Vice-Chair of Cymdeithas yr Iaith in Carmarthen said: "How can
we keep an eye and make sure that the Welsh language is given the priority
and fairness, if the meetings are not open to the public?

"We have worked with the council over the past few months and have heard
that things are moving forward, but to ensure this continues we're keen
that these meetings are open to the public, so we can keep an eagle eye on
the council's work.

"We have asked panel members to change the system so that the meetings can
be held openly and have had promising responses and hope to see changes.”

http://www.southwalesguardian.co.uk/news/ammanfordnews/11821847.Eagle_eye_protest_over_council_s_language_panel/