[lg policy] Canada: Montreal Heart Institute apologizes for discriminatory language policy

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 14:53:17 UTC 2015

Montreal Heart Institute apologizes for discriminatory language policy
 [image: doctor-stethoscope-getty] <http://globalnews.ca/author/rachel-lau/> By
Rachel Lau <http://globalnews.ca/author/rachel-lau/>  Web Producer  Global
News
  Joe Raedle/Getty Images

MONTREAL – A family from Ontario had the shock of their lives as they
searched online for health resources at the Montreal Heart Institute
<https://www.icm-mhi.org/en> (MHI).

*READ MORE:* Universities say Quebec language laws make it difficult to
hire foreign professors
<http://globalnews.ca/news/1818390/universities-say-quebec-language-laws-make-it-difficult-to-hire-foreign-professors/>
   Related

   -  [image: Publisher Lily Ryan reviews the latest edition of the Pontiac
   Journal with her colleague.] Small Quebec newspaper Pontiac Journal
   takes on language police
   <http://globalnews.ca/news/2038665/small-quebec-newspaper-pontiac-journal-takes-on-language-police/>
   -  [image: Called AWE, an acronym for Atwater Writers Exhibition, the
   display features some of the works and personal effects of great Quebec
   writers.] Atwater Library celebrates Quebec’s English language writers
   <http://globalnews.ca/news/2024196/atwater-library-celebrates-quebecs-english-language-writers/>
   -   Quebec language police on ‘foodies’
   <http://globalnews.ca/video/1992322/quebec-language-police-on-foodies>

  The language policy stated “employees work in French and clients are
served in French.”

*“Patients who wish to be served in English are asked to contact another
institution in the Montreal territory that provides services in this
language.”*

“It’s the worst thing I’ve ever seen,” said Antoinette Mercurio, President
of the Unity Group.

“It’s saying point blank, if you come here you’re going to receive service
in just French. It was atrocious. Terrible.”

The family confided in the Unity Group
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Unity-Group-Quebec-civil-rights/619408914752897?fref=photo>
and Bonjour-Hi Québec
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bonjour-Hi-Qu%C3%A9bec/1413169865604829?__mref=message_bubble>
.

*READ MORE:* Language debate dominates Longueuil city council
<http://globalnews.ca/news/2098033/language-debate-dominates-longueuil-city-council/>

As soon as the groups contacted the MHI, the message was removed.

“We had not seen it and we don’t want to associate with it,” Marie-Ève
Arsenault, a spokesperson for the MHI told Global News.

“It’s our mistake and now it’s corrected on our website. We are actually
really, really, really sad about it.”

Arsenault estimated the message was put up after the website got a facelift
about a year ago, but said she could not be sure.
 [image: The Unity Group posted this picture online showing the different
text in the Montreal Heart Institute's language policy, Wednesday, July 8,
2015.]

The Unity Group posted this picture online showing the different text in
the Montreal Heart Institute’s language policy, Wednesday, July 8, 2015.
The Unity Group/Facebook

The Montreal Heart Institute is classified as a francophone institution,
but according to law that doesn’t mean they can refuse service in English.

*READ MORE:* CHUM superhospital: Quebec union officials say ‘too much
English’ on work site
<http://globalnews.ca/news/1894718/chum-superhospital-quebec-union-officials-say-too-much-english-on-work-site/>

“We have a lot of patients in English,” said Arsenault.

“We don’t agree with it. It’s not our usual politics.”

*READ MORE:* Quebec premier won’t exclude possibility of tightening
language laws
<http://globalnews.ca/news/1969232/quebec-premier-wont-exclude-possibility-of-tightening-language-laws/>

Mercurio acknowledged the fact that language has always been a hot-button
topic in the province, but said it saddens her to see that the situation is
not getting any better.

*READ MORE:* Federal languages commissioner wants Quebec to help Anglos
<http://globalnews.ca/news/1779169/federal-languages-commissioner-wants-quebec-to-help-anglos/>

“Is it getting better? Absolutely not,” she said.

“It’s getting worse. People are getting tired of waking up every day and
having to fight.”

http://globalnews.ca/news/2099226/montreal-heart-institute-apologizes-after-discriminatory-language-policy/