[lg policy] Re: Get ready for the conference preferences survey!

Dave Sayers dave.sayers at cantab.net
Thu Jul 16 12:56:39 UTC 2015

It's taken exactly a week to get exactly 100 responses! What a nice pleasing round
number. The results are here: https://goo.gl/NchF58. What's that? You'd like me to
write about the responses so you don't have to go to the trouble of clicking that
link? Oh ok...

Scheduling conferences over the weekend is generally not cool, although a sizeable
34.4% weren't familiar with the concept of a weekend and didn't care (notably, that
number rose over the weekend...).

Over three quarters would prefer a venue with far apart well-equipped rooms to one
with nearby less well-equipped rooms. Sociolinguists like to be well-equipped. And
one of the free-text comments raised an important point here:

"In choosing the conference venue (and the dinner venue), allow for people with
mobility problems. Hold the conference in the meeting rooms at the accommodation
place or else provide transport between the accommodation and the conference venue.
If the conference must be held elsewhere, no long distances between conference rooms,
no steps unless there is a lift, that sort of thing."

Only 4% would like the poster session to be held out in the woods. This strikes me as
remarkably unadventurous. Maybe I should have suggested in the sea, then the theme
could be first, second and third wave - hahey! (A joke for all you variationists out
there.) Ahem... 76.8% suggested the main foyer, not a separate room. Keep those
shoulders rubbing.

Restaurants close to conference venues will be pleased with the news that 81.8% of
respondents favoured a conference dinner at a restaurant easily walkable from the
venue, and only 16.2% wanted dinner at the venue itself. Convenience outweighed here
by the desire to actually see a little bit of the city you're supposedly visiting.
Meanwhile almost nobody (2%) wanted to be coached out to a restaurant; it's nice to
be able to make a swift exit if needed.

Turning to charitable matters, fully 100% of you said that students without funding
should get the conference bursary. The next highest response, 80.8%, was for
unemployed post-PhD people (if only I'd known back then!), then 67.7% for post-PhDs
in work but without conference funding. Students with funding are not seen as
anywhere near so needy, coming in with a minority response, 47.5%. Personally I spent
my generous PhD conference funding attending over 30 of them during the three years;
if I hadn't had bursaries then I might have spent more time on the thesis and less
time trying to make Powerpoint respect my authority. So this could be good news all
round.

Next, that flurry of little extras you receive at the reception desk of the
conference, and the other little frills laid on throughout. Who actually wants what?
The least popular frill is a paper pad and pen: 88.9% of people couldn't care less
about that. A hard copy of abstract book and a free bag were similarly spurned (82.8%
and 84.8% respectively didn't want these). Perhaps surprisingly, over half (56.6%)
didn't even care about receiving a hard copy of the timetable. Everything else
received a minority of rejections: lunch 34.3%, wine 43.4%, tea/coffee 7.1% (a
conference without caffeine? GAH!), and plenary speakers 13%. I emphasise that wine
received a minority response. There should most certainly still be wine laid on at
the reception. Without. Doubt.

Moving on to the format of the conference dinner, a whopping 94.7% of you would
happily attend a much cheaper and less lavish dinner so that more people could afford
to come. I for one look forward to gorging myself at an all-you-can-eat buffet at
future conferences. My slightly more out-there idea of a normal dinner where non-fee
payers could come along with their own food was soundly rejected: 12.6% would go for
that. In fact that was even less popular than foraging in the woods and dodging bears
(14.7%). I take back what I said about sociolinguists being unadventurous.

By this point in the survey, 20.4% considered this the most exciting thing they'd
done all day. I hope it was also the first thing they'd done that day, otherwise
there are some seriously bored sociolinguists out there.

Now we move on to how the panel chairs exercises their dominion over presenters and
attendees...

If a presenter is unexpectedly absent, 82.8% would prefer the chair to leave a gap so
that the timings in the original programme still applied. This seems the opposite of
what tends to happen in practice. A big lesson here for chairs.

If a presenter ignores that waving 'STOP' sign and keeps going past their allotted
time, 11.1% would crack that whip and cut them off immediately. The biggest response
(43.4%) was for cutting them off half way through their Q&A. 32.3% would let them
squander their Q&A period and allow no questions (well it is their fault), while 13%
would allow one short question for Q&A squanderers. No respondents AT ALL thought the
chair should let the presenter stray into the next presenter's time slot. Take note
please, chairs!

Next, a conference phenomenon so widely mocked it's been made into a cartoon:
http://goo.gl/5KCp4F. It's that 'question' which feels like it might never end, and
might not really be a question at all. 19.8% of you would patiently allow this to go
on (and on...) in the hope that something interesting might come up, but most people
in that audience (62.8%) would be glaring at the chair willing them to cut in and
invite the presenter to respond to anything so far that actually resembled a
question. Meanwhile 16.7% would be eyeing up the nearest window and wishing the chair
would eject this questioner out of it. (At times during this week, as the survey

Now we consider that kind of question which might be nice and short, but doesn't make
the remotest scrap of sense. It might as well have been delivered using interpretive
dance. The four survey options were for the chair to: rephrase this somehow; ask the
questioner to try again; leave the presenter to answer on their own; or bail on this
question altogether and suggest they discuss it in the coffee break. The responses
were actually split pretty evenly, with a small but probably not significant lead
(30.9%) for bailing and moving on. The lowest response (22.3%) was for the chair to
do nothing, so that at least gives chairs a 77.7% mandate for doing something,
anything, to help a befuddled presenter in the face of absurdity.

By this point in the survey, 17.6% considered the survey to be the thrilling pinnacle
of their week. I hope these people filled out the survey first thing on Monday.
Otherwise I think some people need to be introduced to office tennis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kznInnMzQss.

Moving on to the wild badlands of the world wide internets... 66.7% of respondents
felt that presenting by Skype should be allowed for a limited number of people,
according to need (e.g. those with caring/parenting responsibilities). A much smaller
but still notable 28.3% responded that this shouldn't be allowed at all, whilst only
5.1% were happy with remote presenting as a routine option. For info, here are a
couple of links explaining how that can work: https://goo.gl/zhMuN,
https://goo.gl/r3zBil. You can then switch to video chat for Q&A. But if this catches
on, I would humbly suggest that Skype presenters make sure the webcam is perched
above their face, not below. Looking up someone's nose might be a literal view of
their mind, but it's not useful otherwise.

On the question of putting plenaries and presentations online (live-streaming and/or
hosted online afterwards) there were eight options so I won't discuss them all.
Perhaps of most interest, no option here enjoyed majority approval: the highest
(46.4%) was for hosting the plenaries afterwards, followed closely (45.4%) by
live-streaming the plenaries and hosting them afterwards. The other options received
much lower responses, and only 22.7% would be interested in seeing the foraging
survival challenge online. No sociolinguistic bear-dodging on Youtube any time soon then.

As for a completely online conference, this was shot right out of the water. In fact
it was almost shot out of a cannon into the sun. A paltry 10.5% would go for that
sort of shenanigan (e-nanigan?), with 86.3% favouring travel paperwork, airline
bustle, getting lost in corridors, awkward shoulder-rubbing, nonsense questions,
sweaty drudging between poorly air-conditioned rooms, and rushed breaks for
coffee-flavoured water. Academia can be a lonely existence, and it seems we'll put up
with a lot just to share the same air once in a while. Personally I quite like all
the sweat and drudge, I can't deny it. I love you guys.

Lastly, only 2.1% of respondents said that the wonderful, free, robust and
authoritative Sociolinguistic Events Calendar (http://www.baal.org.uk/slxevents.html)
is about as useful as an inflatable dartboard. All the other responses I interpret as
various shades of gushing approval for this excellent, free, accessible,
cross-compatible, free resource. A big round of applause to all the calendar
moderators for their tireless efforts.

The free text comments at the end of the survey came up with some gems. I strongly
recommend having a read of them yourself. One person said I am great, another wants
to hug me, and another nominated me for president. The rest of the comments are
interesting but not as important as these three. Judge for yourselves:
https://goo.gl/NchF58.

Enjoy conference season everyone; hopefully see you on the circuit.

Dave

--
Dr. Dave Sayers
Senior Lecturer, Dept Humanities, Sheffield Hallam University