[lg policy] Warning on danger to future of Irish language

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 14:54:52 UTC 2015

 Warning on danger to future of Irish language Green Party says Irish could
be all but extinct in a generation
[image: Green Party leader Eamon Ryan: “What we have now is a situation
where even traditional Gaeltacht areas are declining.” Photograph: Eric
Luke/The Irish Times]

Green Party leader Eamon Ryan: “What we have now is a situation where even
traditional Gaeltacht areas are declining.” Photograph: Eric Luke/The Irish
Times

 Harry McGee <http://www.irishtimes.com/profile/harry-mcgee-7.25402>

   - *Topics:*
   - News <http://www.irishtimes.com/news>

  Fri, Jul 17, 2015, 01:04
<http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/warning-on-danger-to-future-of-irish-language-1.2287781#>

*First published:* Fri, Jul 17, 2015, 01:04

   -

   -
   -
   -
   <http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/warning-on-danger-to-future-of-irish-language-1.2287781#>

  <http://www.irishtimes.com/cmlink/the-irish-times-news-1.1319192>

The Irish language could be all but extinct in a generation if remedial
action is not taken, the Green Party has warned. The party last night
launched a new policy paper on the language in Dublin, along with a new
bilingual website in which it emphasised its full title, Green Party
Comhaontas Glas.

Party leader Eamon Ryan referred to the recent report, written by Conchúr Ó
Giollagáin, which showed that the decline of the language as a living and
spoken tongue was worse than had been previously thought.

“What we have now is a situation where even traditional Gaeltacht areas are
declining. A language goes extinct every two weeks and there’s a real risk
that Irish will go that way this century if we don’t take serious steps
soon.

“In 2010 we contributed to a 20-year plan to preserve and promote the Irish
language – the Government has ignored this. We need to change the way we
treat our language. It is an important part of our cultural heritage,” he
said.

The chairman of the party’s Irish language group, Seán Ó Buachalla, said
the party had introduced a language charter in 2014. He criticised the
Government, saying they had put reform of the Official Languages Act on the
long finger.

“Our language policy is based on international best practice. It takes into
account a range of views and it is ambitious. The Government now needs to
show the same ambition before it is too late.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/warning-on-danger-to-future-of-irish-language-1.2287781