[lg policy] South Africa: Students protest in Stellenbosch over language

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 15:23:38 UTC 2015

 Students protest in Stellenbosch over language 2015-07-27 19:24

Tammy Petersen, News24
   [image: Stellenbosch University]

Stellenbosch University

Multimedia <http://www.news24.com/Multimedia>   ·   User Galleries
<http://www.news24.com/Multimedia/MyNews24>   ·   News in Pictures
<http://www.news24.com/Multimedia/Category-Images> Send us your pictures
<http://uploads.news24.com?iframe>  ·  Send us your stories
<http://www.news24.com/FeedBack.aspx?iframe>
 Related Links

   - Maties to create fund promoting Xhosa
   <http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Stellenbosch-university-to-create-fund-promoting-Xhosa-20150531>

 Cape Town - Stellenbosch University rector and vice chancellor Professor
Wim de Villiers has slammed a protest, which broke out in a lecture hall at
the university on Monday morning.

A student sent News24 *a video of the disruption*
<https://youtu.be/SptEXkVpKWg>, saying the objections emanated from the
university’s language policy and was led by members of the Open
Stellenbosch movement.

“Since my inauguration in April I have confirmed the right of students to
protest on more than one occasion, but provided that they comply with the
processes and procedures applicable to all university entities,” said De
Villiers.

“Students do not, however, have the right to disrupt any academic
activities, infringe on the rights of other students to study or disrupt
administrative processes.”

The university earlier this month announced it would focus on the
“consistent and possible accelerated implementation” of its approved
Language Policy and Language Plan.

This “evolutionary process” would include monitoring and corrective
measures, and give appropriate attention to the needs of students who
maintain that language implementation processes adversely affect their
academic performance.

In the video, students are seen leaving a third year political science
lecture hall at the university's Arts and Social Sciences Building shortly
after 09:00 on Monday morning. A handful started chanting.

De Villiers confirmed a sit-in also took place in one of the university’s
administrative buildings.

An Office for Transformation is in the process of being established, and a
Transformation Committee has been constituted.

On their Facebook page, hours after the protest, Open Stellenbosch called
for an end to the t-option - where lessons are given in both English and
Afrikaans.

“University management has ignored our calls for the transformation of the
language policy, which should cater for the needs of all students at this
institution. How are we supposed to get the degrees we are paying for if we
don't understand what is being taught?”

De Villiers said the students had no need to resort to mass action.

“Our management team is eager to engage with the student community at
round-table discussions.
“I have extended numerous invitations to our students. At the beginning of
this semester, various student groups received invitations to such a
round-table discussion in August, and we envisage this as the beginning of
a regular discussion forum.”

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Students-protest-in-Stellenbosch-over-language-20150727