[lg policy] Canadian language providers rally in face of tough policy

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 17:12:13 UTC 2015

Canadian language providers rally in face of tough policyPosted on Mar 13,
2015
<http://thepienews.com/news/canadian-language-providers-rally-in-face-of-tough-policy/>
 by Beckie Smith <http://thepienews.com/author/beckie-smith/>Posted in
Associations <http://thepienews.com/section/news/associations/>, News
<http://thepienews.com/section/news/>, under North America
<http://thepienews.com/region/north-america/>.
Tagged with Canada <http://thepienews.com/tags/canada/>, ISP
<http://thepienews.com/tags/isp/>, Languages Canada
<http://thepienews.com/tags/languages-canada/>.
Bookmark the permalink
<http://thepienews.com/news/canadian-language-providers-rally-in-face-of-tough-policy/>
.

It hasn’t been an easy year for Canadian language providers as new policies
came into effect last June that abolished their rights to the study work
co-op programmes, and placed more responsibility on provincial lawmakers,
further fragmenting already disjointed governance of the sector. However,
at the Languages Canada conference this year, providers were optimistic
that with a unified front, they can compel change on a national level.
[image: IMG_0151]Share this:

   - Share on Facebook
   <http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http://thepienews.com/?p=50260>
   - Share on LinkedIn
   <http://www.linkedin.com/shareArticle?mini=true&url=http://thepienews.com/?p=50260&title=Canadian%20language%20providers%20rally%20in%20face%20of%20tough%20policy&source=The%20PIE%20News>
   - Share on Twitter
   <http://twitter.com/home?status=Canadian%20language%20providers%20rally%20in%20face%20of%20tough%20policy:%20http://thepienews.com/?p=50260%20via%20@thepienews>
   - Email to a friend <http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php>

*About Beckie Smith*
Beckie graduated from the University of Leeds with a degree in Japanese,
during which she lived in Kyoto for a year. She loves travelling to report
on different areas of the world as it enables her to fulfil both her
childhood dreams of being either an explorer or a writer. Beckie can be
engaged in discussion about feminism, politics and the media and is very
fond of brunch food.

The example that is set by Australia is when things go wrong you have to
move into action

With elections coming up in October, Gonzalo Peralta, executive director of
Languages Canada, told *The PIE News* that sector players realise now is
the time to pull together in advocating for friendlier policies.

“Internally the sector has never been more cohesive and united, so this is
really positive because it’s allowing us to build an advocacy platform that
has impact and that will continue to have impact for a long time,” he said.

“But advocacy is even more slow than marketing in terms of getting it out
and that’s why we have a longer-term vision in place that will see us
really be able to influence policy to a greater degree than in the past.”

Peralta confirmed the association is expecting a further drop in student
numbers, following a 7% decrease in incoming numbers in 2013.

“We don’t see the numbers increasing. The reason for this is really simple:
government policy”

“We don’t see the numbers increasing, which is basically bucking the global
trend of increase, in particular destinations like Australia, New Zealand
and so on,” he said.

“The reason for this is really simple: government policy.”

The curtailment of co-op programmes, which offered both language tuition
and professional internships, under the changes to the International
Student Program brought in last year have hit the sector hard.
[image: Sue Blundell, ED of English Australia spoke with Languages Canada
CEO Gonzalo Peralta and offered advice to Canadian providers]
<http://thepienews.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/suegonzalo.jpg>

Sue Blundell, ED of English Australia spoke with Languages Canada CEO
Gonzalo Peralta and offered advice to Canadian providers

“We calculated 15% of our numbers came from that programme. Some of that,
of course, can be regained through other programmes, which may have
increased a little bit, but there’s no doubt that it had a very significant
impact on the sector.”

However, the sector has come together in the face of the changes, and the
divide between public and private providers is shrinking, he added.

Around a third of the association’s 227 members are in the public sector.

“There’s some very practical things like collaboration between the two in
projects, initiatives and partnerships,” Peralta commented.

“And there are things that have really united them, like initially it was
thought for example that language core programmes… were more of a private
sector [issue], but what we’re discovering now is that it also takes the
public sector.”

“Internally the sector has never been more cohesive and united”

The organisation is even looking externally for lessons to be learned from
Australia in improving the ELT sector, as executive director of English
Australia, Sue Blundell, was a prominent figure at the Ottawa conference.

“I think the example that is set by Australia is when things go wrong you
have to move into action, and that’s what Australia did,” Peralta said.

“They took excellent data and used it to lobby the government and influence
a change in policy,” he explained.

Beyond the elections, Peralta said the association will focus 2015 efforts
on growing relations in the Brazilian market to the extent that a microsite
has been developed specifically for strategic partnerships alongside the
newly launched Languages Canada site.

“Brazil is one of the six identified countries in Canada’s International
Education Strategy, and it’s the one where I think it’s a natural fit for
Canada,” Peralta said.

“It seemed to make sense to move from that sort of market aspect where we
see 18,000 Brazilians here every year to learn the language more to the
partnership aspect.”

http://thepienews.com/news/canadian-language-providers-rally-in-face-of-tough-policy/