[lg policy] Kyrgyzstan: Official status of Russian language in Kyrgyz Constitution is suggested to be cancelled

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 15:21:17 UTC 2015

* Official status of Russian language in Kyrgyz Constitution is suggested
to be cancelled*

23/03/15 10:31, Bishkek – 24.kg news agency, by Aizada KUTUEVA

Official status of the Russian language in the Kyrgyz Constitution is
suggested to be cancelled, the head of the National Commission on State
Language Egemberdi Ermatov said today to reporters.

He recalled that now in the Kyrgyz Republic there is a moratorium on
changes to the Basic Law till 2020. "But some scientists raised the
question of the need for changes in terms of language policy. This was
stated recently at a scientific and practical conference on the development
of state language. Scientists propose to exclude the status of Russian as
an official. Such a rule was only in our country. We have to develop your
own language. This requires a legislative initiative on the part of
Parliament. Today, many state agencies don't keep paperwork in Kyrgyz,
referring to the rate that the Russian - is the official language. Each
week we check them according to our plan. It should be noted that some
ministries have already been transferred to the workflow state language -
Ministry of Emergency Situations, Ministry of Internal Affairs, Ministry of
Culture," Egemberdi Ermatov said.

The official noted that within the allocated 243 million soms, books for
kindergartens, schools, universities and government agencies in state
language will be issued. "Test of the Kyrgyz language is worked out. Since
2016 all state and municipal employees will pass it. This will positively
affect the development of the state language. Previously, we twice adopted
the national program for the development of the Kyrgyz language, but they
didn't work, as there was no finance," he added.

http://www.eng.24.kg/community/175013-news24.html