[lg policy] What's a Newfoundland Accent Worth?

Francis Hult francis.hult at englund.lu.se
Sat Mar 28 14:45:01 UTC 2015

The Atlantic

What's a Newfoundland Accent Worth?

Last year a Canadian public radio show called This is That reported on a somewhat ridiculous-seeming plan, cooked up in the northern Alberta town of High Prairie: To attract more tourists, the town council had, according to the program, hired a linguist from Texas to invent a local accent.

Shopkeepers and residents would learn to speak in ascending tones, and drop their r’s, giving the town auditory distinction. “We’re asking ourselves the question, who is doing tourism right in Canada? And naturally our minds travel to places like the East Coast … as well as Quebec, and the one commonality between all of those places is the use of accent,” the program quoted the town’s tourism commissioner as saying.

Full story:
http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2015/03/whats-a-newfoundland-accent-worth/388910/