[lg policy] Wales: Call to hold talks on mine memorial in Pontarddulais

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Thu May 14 19:17:58 UTC 2015

 Call to hold talks on mine memorial in Pontarddulais

By EPerkins1
<http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/people/EPerkins1/profile.html>
  [image: Call to hold talks on mine memorial in Pontarddulais]
  Comments (0)
<http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/hold-talks-memorial-Pontarddulais/story-26497073-detail/story.html#comments>

COMMUNITY leaders are calling for a face-to-face meeting with bosses behind
a mining memorial project after calling for changes to a plaque.
Members
<http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/hold-talks-memorial-Pontarddulais/story-26497073-detail/story.html#>
of Pontarddulais <http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Pontarddulais>
Town Council have pledged to offer funding for the tribute at The Institute
in Pontarddulais <http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Pontarddulais> to
those who lost their lives working
<http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/hold-talks-memorial-Pontarddulais/story-26497073-detail/story.html#>
at Graig Merthyr Colliery.
There will also be a commemoration at the colliery site.
But now town councillors have raised concerns the plaque does not comply
with The Institute’s Welsh language policy, following claims it
<http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/hold-talks-memorial-Pontarddulais/story-26497073-detail/story.html#>
is not bilingual, and there are concerns about the use of the colliery name
Birchrock on the memorial.
Pontarddulais Town Council clerk Aneurin John said: “We’ve had a letter
from the Graig Merthyr committee, We suggested changes to the Welsh
language (on the plaque), but the Graig Merthyr committee are staying with
what they have.”
The decision was branded “disgusting” by some members during the meeting,
and it was suggested the scheme should be reconsidered for The Institute
given its Welsh language policy.
Mayor Gail John reminded the council: “We said we would give them a
cheque,” and Pontarddulais councillor Jane Harris suggested a face-to-face
meeting with the committee.
Robert Griffiths, chairman of the Graig Merthyr Memorial committee, said
the plaque had been written in Welsh and English following consultation
with the fund’s members and following a number of redesigns.
“We had the plaque made and can’t change the Birchrock name because that’s
what the colliery was called. Graig Merthyr was used at a later date. The
plaque is 50/50 bilingual and it was voted for by the committee.
“Members who joined the group are very happy with the plaque after four
designs
<http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/hold-talks-memorial-Pontarddulais/story-26497073-detail/story.html#>.
Everyone is happy with it.”

Liz Perkins / Elizabeth.perkins at swwmedia.co.uk / @lizperkinspost