[lg policy] South Africa: Language - the Great Debate

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 15:57:32 UTC 2015

South Africa: Language - the Great Debate

By Lerato Molisana and Thabang Moselane

UFS students have their say

Language policies at institutions of higher learning have been the subject
of controversy and intense debate all over the country. It is located
within the broader transformation contestations. Last week we carried a
piece by Professor Daniel F M Strauss, who made the case for Afrikaans.
This week, UFS students have their say.

Hlonipha Matshamba, BComm Entrepreneurship, honours student

The language policy for me is a string of hope. Hope that maybe finally top
management is taking us, as students, seriously. There is a sense of hope
that more changes will be made after this - changes that will support true
transformation.

I believe that the new language policy would be a good gesture that the
students are being heard.

However I do wonder whether it will really be changed. Why now, what has
prevented it from happening in the past, and won't it be stopped by the
same people who could have prevented it before?

I would love for us to have one language as a medium of instruction but
will that truly bring about transformative change. It might be the start,
and I say, why not try.

We have tried dual medium already. So why not have English as our only
medium of instruction. Times have changed, centuries have passed and yes,
it is time we move away from being an "Afrikaans university". Changing the
language policy carries a lot of weight and would drastically change the
way we are viewed externally, and how 'welcome' we feel as black UFS
students on campus.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201509161262.html