[lg policy] South Africa: I Am Stellenbosch aims to bring ‘awareness’

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 15:06:25 UTC 2015

I Am Stellenbosch aims to bring ‘awareness’
Tshepiso Linda <http://connect.citizen.co.za/author/tshepisolinda/> | 25
September 2015

*A documentary titled Luister
<http://connect.citizen.co.za/15907/luister-racism-at-stellenbosch-university/>
fueled
debates around issues of institutional racism, language policies and
transformation at Stellenbosch University in August when it was released.*

Created by members of small media group Contraband Cape Town, Dan Corder,
Declan Manca, Erik Mulder and Markus Hegewisch, the documentary featured 32
students and a lecturer speaking openly about their experiences at the
university, which has been increasingly plagued by criticism over its
alleged lack of transformation.

On Friday morning, #IAmStellenbosch was trending on Twitter. A group of
apparent Stellenbosch students expressed their opinions on the whole issue
of transformation and language policy at the university.

The group said in a statement released on its Facebook page that the aim is
to create “awareness of the thousands of individual identities that are
housed in this university and bring them together into a single identity
that is Stellenbosch University.”

“It comes from a place in which we as students get to understand
and recognize that we are different, our experiences are different, our
goals, values and many other attributes are different. However, it is these
differences that hold us together as an entity of Stellenbosch University.”

*Here are the images that have been posted:*
[image: Stellies 2]
<http://connect.citizen.co.za/wp-content/uploads/sites/25/2015/09/Stellies-2.jpg?4cc338>

Picture: Facebook

[image: Stellenbosch]
<http://connect.citizen.co.za/wp-content/uploads/sites/25/2015/09/sellies-boy.jpg?4cc338>

Facebook: Twitter

[image: Stellbosch]
<http://connect.citizen.co.za/wp-content/uploads/sites/25/2015/09/setho.jpg?4cc338>

Picture: Facebook
[image: IamStellenbosch]
<http://connect.citizen.co.za/wp-content/uploads/sites/25/2015/09/Stellies-1.jpg?4cc338>

Pictures: Facebook
[image: Stellies]
<http://connect.citizen.co.za/wp-content/uploads/sites/25/2015/09/rap-music.jpg?4cc338>

Picture: Facebook
See more pictures in our gallery to follow.
http://connect.citizen.co.za/22678/i-am-stellenbosch-aims-to-bring-awareness/